Question

Student
Alan_Hepburn
Message 1 of 8 (3,491 Views)

Printing cards and labels on Photosmart C4580 printer

I couldn't find my particular problem using the search so I'm hoping for some answers here. I have a Photosmart C4580 printer connected to a Toshiba laptop running Vista with all the current updates. My problem is that I can't seem to get it to print on business card stock or addrress label stock. Here's the issue:

I use Word to create business cards to print onto business card stock. The instructions that came with the card stock say to do a test page on regular paper first to verify placement, which I do - everything looks perfect so I put a page of card stock in the feeder. The printer grabs the page and prints with the image offset towards the top of the page by about 1/4" so that the top of the card is above the edge of the cards. As the cards are repeated down the page, it shifts down slightly so that by the time it gets to the bottom of the page it's almost on the card, but still overlaps the top edge slightly. Printing onto regular paper works perfectly every time.

A similar thing happens printing address labels - again using Word to create the labels for either Avery 5267 or Avery 8161 label stock. On regular paper everything looks perfect, but feed a sheet of label stock in and the text is offest toward the top of the page. The last time I needed labels I was able to get it to print properly by printing one label at a time, then refeeding the page and printing the next one, then repeating until each label on the page was printed. When you're printing several pages of labels that takes a lot of time!

Is there something I need to do to get this printer to print cards and labels?

Alan Hepburn

Alan Hepburn
Proud to be a Blue Star Family
Intern
econobiker
Message 2 of 8 (3,268 Views)

Re: Printing cards and labels on Photosmart C4580 printer

You are not alone as other people have run into this issue and posted on this forum.  No known fix.
Intern
econobiker
Message 3 of 8 (3,012 Views)

Printer experts where are you now?

Top Student
Calion
Message 4 of 8 (2,929 Views)

Solved. Under "Paper Type/Quality" Select "HP Photo Cards" under Paper Type:smileyembarrassed:Specialty Paper. That fixes the formatting problem, but unfortunately the type is anything but crisp. The problem here is in the printer driver; unlike that for other printers, there's no "card stock" option for white paper.

Honor Student
cavalier
Message 5 of 8 (2,849 Views)

Happens to me on regular address labels - - - these printers are not meant to do labels.  Mine shift down like that before and now don't even print.  I'm a PSC 3150 with XP.  I'm looking for Canon next time which could be soon.  I'm tired of not being able to be creative with my printer.

Student
skind56
Message 6 of 8 (2,586 Views)

Re: Printing labels on Photosmart B109a printer

I had problems printing labels as they were progressively moving up the label until it printed above the label. The problem was solved by changing the paper size from 'Letter 8.5x11' to 'A4 210x297'. The letter size seems to have been the default.

Student
deblois1089
Message 7 of 8 (1,533 Views)

How can I print Avery labels on my Photosmart C4580 printer?

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 8 of 8 (1,527 Views)

Printing cards and labels on Photosmart C4580 printer

@ deblois 1089 - I will need a little more information to help out. What are the specifications of the labels? Do you have the measurements and the weight of the paper type? Thanks
I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation