Question

Top Student
Pooh1253
Message 1 of 31 (14,893 Views)

Printing labels direct to CD on a Photosmart C5380

I have been trying to print a label direct to a printable CD.  I am not fussed about the templates available via the software provided with the prirnter.  So I created a label with Nero 7.0.  However, when I tried to print, with all appropriate settings selected in Nero, (i.e. Paper - CD/DVD 120mm; Paper Source - CD/DVD Tray) I get a message on the C5380 that I have to close the CD Tray to resume printing, and it repeatedly tries to print from the paper tray.  Surely I am not restricted to using the very limited templates provided with the C5380 software.  I made sure that I didn't have the HP CD label dialogue box open while I was trying to use Nero.

I have Windows XP with Service Pack 3.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

PhD Student
smartfriend
Message 2 of 31 (14,864 Views)

Re: Printing labels direct to CD on a Photosmart C5380

1. Try printing using the templates first and see if you have the same problem. If yes, then definitely there might be something wrong with the printer driver installed or most definitely with the printer itself.

2. If no, meaning you can print with the templates, then it is just a configuration problem

Please click on KUDOS if you find my solution helpful.
Top Student
Pooh1253
Message 3 of 31 (14,836 Views)

smartfriend wrote:

1. Try printing using the templates first and see if you have the same problem. If yes, then definitely there might be something wrong with the printer driver installed or most definitely with the printer itself.

2. If no, meaning you can print with the templates, then it is just a configuration problem

Thanks for the suggestion about trying to print using the supplied templates - I hadn't thought of that. Will do so now.
PhD Student
smartfriend
Message 4 of 31 (14,800 Views)

So, how's it going?

Please click on KUDOS if you find my solution helpful.
Top Student
Pooh1253
Message 5 of 31 (14,796 Views)

smartfriend wrote:

So, how's it going?

Works fine when I use the supplied templates - but still can't get it to work when I use a third party label creator. I have emailed HP support as well - and their "solution" revolves around making sure the CD is seated properly etc. - they haven't really addressed the issue that I can't print directly to a CD using third party software. I will get back to them though.
Tutor
lbeck
Message 6 of 31 (14,776 Views)

I tried to use the Nero label printing utility also and have not been able to.  I have printed using the Roxio software that came with the HP printer.  A key to determining the software/hardware compatibility is to open whatever print dialog box you have and do a print preview.  If it looks like you are printing to a sheet of paper your HP printer will think you want the paper tray.  That's why it says to close the CD printing tray.

Try using the Roxio software that came with the printer.  I've used it for a dozen or so DVDs and it works fine unitl it doesn't.  My reason for coming onto the forum is for another problem and I'll start a thread on that one.  But this thread came up from a search and Iinitially had the same problem of trying to use Nero.

The Roxio software has an "options" dialog box that enables you to choose something like "CD/DVD printing to hub" which if chosen will enable a print preview showing a single disc (not the 2-discs to a page or added jewel case lables).

I have not been terribly excited about the Roxio software, however, and still am looking for something better.

Top Student
Pooh1253
Message 7 of 31 (14,773 Views)

lbeck wrote:

I tried to use the Nero label printing utility also and have not been able to.  I have printed using the Roxio software that came with the HP printer.  A key to determining the software/hardware compatibility is to open whatever print dialog box you have and do a print preview.  If it looks like you are printing to a sheet of paper your HP printer will think you want the paper tray.  That's why it says to close the CD printing tray.

Try using the Roxio software that came with the printer.  I've used it for a dozen or so DVDs and it works fine unitl it doesn't.  My reason for coming onto the forum is for another problem and I'll start a thread on that one.  But this thread came up from a search and Iinitially had the same problem of trying to use Nero.

The Roxio software has an "options" dialog box that enables you to choose something like "CD/DVD printing to hub" which if chosen will enable a print preview showing a single disc (not the 2-discs to a page or added jewel case lables).

I have not been terribly excited about the Roxio software, however, and still am looking for something better.

I'm not sure that I got Roxio software with my printer - seems to be just HP software. I haven't tried print preview, so thanks for that tip - I will do so.
Student
Robert
Message 8 of 31 (14,751 Views)

I didn't receive the roxio cd either. The support is pretty bad. They emailed a link to the wrong address first then when I finally received it I could not use the program cause it was for the wrong printer and more contact with support by phone or email gets nothing.
Top Student
Staffy
Message 9 of 31 (14,659 Views)

I too have a similar problem.

All I want to do is print text straight to the CD not just in a little text box which is supplied by the template.

Surely there must be a Blank template which we can use?

Also with a windows interface so we can choose what type of font / size colour etc etc

I did a lot of research before buying this printer and have previosuly used a canon ip4300 which allows all these settings. Unfortuantely you cannot really research the support software with which comes with the machine. But if you purchase neato, etc software which comes with their labels you can layout the page exactly how you like it with warped or wrapped text etc etc?????

Any help in the above matter would be greatly appreciated......

Honor Student
hawkeye
Message 10 of 31 (14,160 Views)

I have a C5280, i am also haveing trouble printing direct to CD with a third party software. I have tried Nero, Droppix, Surething and the full blown Roxio 9 suit..........none work right.

Contacted HP and they only support the Roxio basic version.

Droppix is a nice piece of software but it prints off the cd so the images are not central. The full blown Roxio is over a gig in size, plus the expense.

Don't know what to say really, HP are very short sighted in their outlook in thinking members of the public will be happy with what they supply. In fact it will make me wary of making a second purchase.

The basoc Roxio is to restricted, there are not enough settings.

If anyone know of some other software that will allow different layouts and especially setting of the spindlesize for printing i wouls like to know. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation