Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I gave up and bought a label printer from another well known manufacturer. Its great and also wireless
HP Recommended

This should be much easier than removing the paper from the tray, moving the guides, then putting everything back again.

I had other HP before and it used to be easier printing 1 envelope or many. It used to have a hopper at the back of the printer.

I don't know why this more advanced printer cannot do such an easy task. It is not a cheap printer. I wonder if HP is consumer oriented or just looking for profit.

HP Recommended

Interesting that the "solutions" at the top of the list promote buying an expensive add-on. If you scroll down, a member named "Kudos" gives the really simple solution (that I had not thought of, either). I have added a little to it:

Select "Print" from your document.

In the "Print" popup window, under "Printer Name," make sure the 8600 is selected from the Printer list; if not, select it.
Click on the "Properties" button.

Select "Paper/Quality."

Under "Paper Size," select "Envelope #10". (Don't need to change the other settings.)

Click "OK - OK" to print.

Remember to go back into "Properties" afterwords, to change "Paper/Quality" back to "Letter."

Using Microsoft Office Word to print envelopes:

Select the envelopes to be "centered" in the tray option, and select the envelope #10.

HP Recommended

So how does this remedy the fact that you still have to remove the paper from the tray and put the envelope in, and adjusting the guides? But if you can place the envelope on top where you would place paper for copying or scanning, then this solution is great.

Otherwise, when you want to print an envelope, the system is already setup because you would choose envelope printing anyway.

HP Recommended

Previous HP printers were designed to take the envelope feed from the right wall of the paper tray. No underlying paper to remove. The right wall of the feed tray was the guide. That would be a simple solution that could be done by HP with a downloadable program update.

Hasn't happened. we have to remove the paper tray, remove the paper stock place the envelopes and center using the guides. Then replace the paper stock after printing an envelope. too much work and time wasted.

I can only think that somebody had trouble placing envelopes against the right side of the paper tray on say a 6500 machine and complained. IMHO design changes should never be based on the problems of the most incompetent.

Maybe somebody at HP will read this and they will do something to make their loyal customers happy.

HP Recommended

Absolutely, positively the most asanine "product development" direction ever. I have numerous HP devices on many lines, but I will NEVER, EVER buy HP again. I hope they wither on the vine and/or get bought by a commpany that gives a rip for customers. This envelope thing on the 8600 is the final freaking straw. No support, no habla Englais, no easy fix. Why screw up something that worked just fine in previous models? You want me to buy a new tray or take out paper and reset settings to print 2 envelopes a month? NEVER.

HP Recommended

I  have read some of these convoluted answers to print envelopes.  I am greatly disappointed in HP for making things hard to do.  Should be able to put envelope in and print.  Should not have to have matching of paper sizes.  Should recognise automatically any size in tray and print on it.

Poor product design in my view.  We the customers should not have to go through hoops to do things.  Product designers should cater to us, not their whims.

DHeycC

HP Recommended

This little baby is great.  Just cut the address from your latter paste it into the app and print.  Out pops a nice nead cut label to stick on your envelope.  Wireless and automatically knows whic size labels you have in there

http://www.brother.co.uk/g3.cfm/s_page/215760/s_level/38980/s_product/QL720NWZU1

HP Recommended

I bought a two-tray 8600 so that I would have one for envelopes and one for letter paper.  But the minimum margin for the left edge of the envelope is so large that part of the return address won't print flush with the upper left edge of the envelope, so I am using stick-on return address labels.   I wish that HP would do a firmware update that corrects this problem.

HP Recommended

yes, would be nice if the margins would be corrected on the envelopes. As for the 2nd tray, it is a good idea, however, you still have to switch trays. HP should make it simpler for us.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.