Problem - - Cartridge has ink but no print appears on paper (16872 Views)
Top Student
kotracer
Message 1 of 4 (16,872 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problem - - Cartridge has ink but no print appears on paper

I have an HP Deskjet 4200 All-in-One printer with a relatively new ink cartridge.  The printer is printing blank - nothing is appearing on my paper.  The last time I used the printer (with the same cartridges) was four months ago and it was fine.  Nothing has changed (settings, etc.) to my knowledge.  I cannot figure out how to get the printer to print anything.  I could go out and buy new cartridges but the ones that  I have are barely used, though about 6 months old.  And the problem seems to be with both color and black print (the printer has two cartridges) - so I makes me think that it might not be a cartridge problem.  Any suggestions on what I might try?  Thanks.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 4 (16,860 Views)

Re: Problem - - Cartridge has ink but no print appears on paper

It is possible the printheads have become clogged due to sitting for so long unused.  Try running three cleaning cycles from the toolbox.  If this does not recover the printheads then put 1" of very hot water in a cup and put the cartridges nozzles down in the hot water for about five minutes.  When this is done gently blot the printhead on a damp tissue and dry the cartridge contacts, then reinstall the cartridges in the printer and try another cleaning cycle.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Top Student
kotracer
Message 3 of 4 (16,842 Views)

Thanks for your help. The soaking solved my problem and the printer now prints just fine.  I am so grateful since I have a relatively new XL cartridge that I would of hated to waste.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 4 (10,494 Views)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation