Question

Top Student
Starguide7
Message 1 of 1 (816 Views)

Problems printing postcards

I want to print some postcards, standard issue USPS postage-paid cards, 3.5 x 5.5 inches, using my new HP OfficeJet 8500.

I set up the content in WordPerfect. Under paper size, I edited the entry for 4 x 6 index card to be a 3.5 x 5.5 size.  (No "postcard" option was on the list.)  I set the paper feed to "center," since that's where the cards go in the paper tray.

When I tried to print, the printer passed the cards through the printer without printing on them.

I set the paper size back to the standard 4 x 6 index card,and  used wider margins to compensate. I had to specify landscape orientation in the document to get the text to display in the right orientation. However, I think the paper needs to feed into the printer like an envelope, short edge leading.

To see how the margin adjustments were working, I cut some 22# paper to postcard size and tried to print a test.. If I feed the paper with the 5.5 edge leading, the content doesn't have the right orientation. If I feed the paper with the 3.5 edge leading, the printer crumples up the paper and I have to clear out paper jams.

I'm hoping the heavier card stock will feed through without tearing, but I hate to waste actual postage-paid postcards on a test when I don't know whether the margins I set are going to work..

Thanks for any help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation