HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
04-26-2011 11:22 AM
I purchased a HP Officejet J4680 all-in-one printer Feb. 2010 and I have not been happy with it since that time.
The following are problems that I have encountered when using the printer:
- I’ve had to reconnect the printer wirelessly numerous times because, after turning the printer off and unplugging it during thunderstorms, I need to reinstall the printer. At this time it is connected through the USB cable.
- The HP Document Software has never worked on my computer. However, I can open it up on the other computer that shares the printer.
- The HP Smart Web Printing stopped working. I have since uninstalled it from my computer. I’m thinking about reinstalling it since I really liked this feature (when it worked).
- When printing address labels or business cards, they don’t align on the sheet when printed.
- When trying to print a single envelope, it doesn’t completely feed through the printer causing the printer to beep and a message stating there is a paper jam.
Can someone help me resolve these problems?
04-26-2011 02:15 PM
I'll answer some questions that I know.
1. printer disappears after you turn it off.
> I speculate you had a version that was later provided a patch for that issue. The latest software should not have this happen: OfficeJet J4680
2. The HP Document Software
I> 'm not familiar with this software - sorry I cannot try to answer this.
3. The HP Smart Web Printing stopped working. I have since uninstalled it from my computer. I’m thinking about reinstalling it since I really liked this feature (when it worked).
> Unfortunately, HP Smart Web Printing does not work with IE 9. Possibly you accepted the MS prompt to upgrade.
4. When printing address labels or business cards, they don’t align on the sheet when printed.
> Unfortunately, not an answer I know.
5. When trying to print a single envelope, it doesn’t completely feed through the printer causing the printer to beep and a message stating there is a paper jam.
> an idea - try to see if the paper size can be set to envelope. It sounds like your printer is not recognizing that you are trying to print an envelope. when you print, a small window comes up to choose your printer, click on properties, see if there is a setting for envelope.
If I have helped you solve your issue please mark it as solved .....
(I am an HP employee)
04-26-2011 02:26 PM
It sounds like you have been through a lot with this printer. I would start out by completely uninstalling the software from the computer. Once the uninstall is done go to the search or run option in your start menu and type in %temp% and hit enter. Now delete all the hpxxxxxxxxxxx... files and close the window. Now go to control panel and go to add or remove programs or programs and features depending on your system and make sure that none of the hp software is still present in your system. Be careful not to remove anything that might be for the computer software such as HP advisor if your computer is an HP computer. Now download the software you need by going to hp.com and selecting support and drivers. Put in your product name or model number such as CB815A and hit search. select your operating system, select drivers, select full feature software and driver. Save a shortcut to your desktop, and download. When it is done you should be able to double click the icon on your desktop and reinstall the software. You will also need to extract the files before the installation can continue. The best way to install, is to choose selected software to be installed before agreeing to the installation. Simply select next and let the install continue. When it finishes you will need to double click the icon again for the software and extract it. Then select install more software. The main software to be installed is the driver, the imaging device software, OCR software by IRIS and Solution center or document manager. And I assume you will also want the smart web printing. Good luck.
If I have resolved your issue, feel free to provide Kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided.
09-18-2012 06:55 PM
I totally agree with this post. I then used the patch and now I cannot even choose to select my hpj4680 at all as my default printer. How very odd that the patch made it worse. Well, not entirely worse. I couldn't print with it or without it.
05-17-2013 11:08 AM
The Solutions Center software stopped working so I could not use the scanner.
I could not reload the software and couldn't delete it using Win 7.
Bought a 3rd party software to remove the HP software. Then it would not allow me to install using the disk that came with the printer saying newer software is on the printer. Now using the printer or the downloaded software it will not reload all the utility programs needed, only the printer drivers. I still cannot use the scanner!
I've already spent days on this problem! What else can I do??
05-20-2013 09:20 AM - edited 05-20-2013 09:26 AM
Hello jmdild. I understand you're unable to install the software for your printer.
The third-party application probably left some remnants of the install on the computer and this is confusing the application during the re-installation. I'd like you to try the following to remove these remnants.
- Click Start, type "%temp%," and press Enter.
- You should see a folder named "7z####," select this.
- You should locate a folder named OJJ4600, or something similar, in this folder. Select this.
- Select the "util" folder.
- Select the "ccc" folder.
- At the bottom of the list you should see a file titled "Uninstall_L3.bat."
- Right click this file and select "Run as Administrator."
- After the uninstallation is complete reboot your computer and try to install this version of the software.
Let me know the result and have a wonderful day!
05-20-2013 03:18 PM
I am glad to hear that I was able to resolve your issue jmdild.
Make sure to pay the forums a visit in the future if you have more questions.
Have a lovely evening.