Redirect output from LPT1 to USB (3808 Views)
Honor Student
nava
Message 1 of 1 (3,808 Views)

Redirect output from LPT1 to USB

I provide support to a small business client who has been using a DOS based application that is configured to print only to LPTx or COMx or FILE ports. Their old line printer with a parallel port to Centronix cable has recently developed mechanical problems and must be sent to recycling.

It is now replaced by a HP Deskjet D4160 printer connected to a USB port only. The client must continue to use the old program, at least for while, since his database is locked into the old DOS program.

Elsewhere on the internet I found a suggestion to setup a Microsoft Loopback Adapter, assign it a static IP address and then redirect output to the HP DJ D4160 printer using the networking command:

NET  USE  LPT1  \\computername\printername /PERSISTENT:YES

The problem is now the printer yields output that also contains characters like:   _(10U_(S10HU   etc. all over the printout to represent non alphanumeric characters from the original report format. I have tried resetting Print Processor from RAW to TEXT. It does not help.

Has someone found a way to send the output directed to LPT1 port to a printer connected to a USB port and get a reasonably legible printed output?

Thanks in advance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation