Question

Honor Student
TheresaAnn
Message 1 of 7 (4,338 Views)

Remanufactured ink cartiridges

I have installed a black remanufactured ink cartridge in my HP Photosmart C6380 All-In-One.  It will not print the black ink.  I do not know how to override this obstacle.  Can someone please help me?  I am at my wits end.  My great appreciation to  anyone who can assist me.  Cann someone reply ASAP???

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 2 of 7 (4,290 Views)

Re: Remanufactured ink cartiridges

Hi TheresaAnn

There are a couple of things you could try, like cleaning the printhead and making sure the cartridges are vented

more details here

Hope this helps

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
TheresaAnn
Message 3 of 7 (4,254 Views)

Dear Ciara:

thank you for your reply.  I have not visited this site in a few days.  I had to go out and buy an HP black cartridge for my Photosmart 6380 all-in-one.

the trouble I was having with the previous black cartridge was that it was remanufactured, and it was NOT an HP cartridge.  Do you know of a way to override the obstacle that will allow me to print black ink without having an original HP cartridge in the printer???  I ordered several of them and would hate to waste them.

Many, many thanks.

Theresa Ann

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 7 (4,237 Views)

The printer does not require an HP cartridge, but it does require a cartridge that properly passes the electrical tests.  Refill/reman cartrdiges are often exposed to rough handling at some point in the journey from the original user, back to a store and then off to a reman center.  The quality of reman cartridges varies greatly, as described in a study here by Quality Logic.   HP provides a warranty for their original cartridges.  I would suggest you check with your supplier of reman cartridges to see if they stand behind their products.

(As a aside, I once donated an all-in-one printer to the local high school.  Some time later the teacher mentioned that he was having a problem with the printer.  I went in to check it out and found they were using a reman cartridge that was missing one color.  We tried a second cartridge with similar poor results, and finally a third cartridge that was OK.  I asked why they used reman cartridges and he said they were cheaper.  I asked if they were 3x cheaper....)

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 5 of 7 (4,229 Views)

Hi TheresaAnn

You're very welcome :smileyhappy:

As you'll see in Bob's message, the printer will need a cartridge that passes the electrical tests. Check out the link to the Quality Logic report for more info on the print quality & reliability of original vs non-HP.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards, Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Student
Jeff74
Message 6 of 7 (827 Views)

I am not sure I believe that Bob. Explain why it says it can't print with the refurbished ink but will print as many reports off the printer as you want. Mine sees an in that is expired and will not print anything just so you have to buy new very expensive ink. But again will print as many reports as I request. Sounds like corporate BS to me. It should allow you to use whatever ink I want but at the cost of a lost warrenty. But since they will not fix most things anyways they just make sure the cash keeps rolling in from ink. Just to prove my theory I have now printed 50 ink reports  through with the used ink it says it can't use.........

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 7 of 7 (823 Views)

[ Edited ]

Jeff74 wrote:

I am not sure I believe that Bob. Explain why it says it can't print with the refurbished ink but will print as many reports off the printer as you want. Mine sees an in that is expired and will not print anything just so you have to buy new very expensive ink. But again will print as many reports as I request. [snip]

The issue of ink expiration is a whole other set of issues.  This affects only a very few printer models of the thousands of models HP has introduced over the years.  You can read about ink expiration in the document here. Generally the models that enforce ink expiration are those with permanent non-replaceable printheads and plumbing that can be damaged as ink ages and becomes more viscous.  The timeframe for ink expiration is on the order of years.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation