Question

Top Student
Beaulne
Message 1 of 7 (4,034 Views)

Remove and check cartridge on right

I am no longer able to replace the black ink cartridge (94 or 96) on my 7310 all-in-one officejet printer. I always get the error message «Error: Remove and check cartridge on right.»

Local HP repair shops refuse to look at the machine which they say is only repaired in a centralized Canadian HP Invent repair location. HP Invent refuses to look at the machine which they say is obsolete.

I bought the 7310 for over $500 in 2006. I don't see why I should scrap it now. There must be something else to do about fixing it.

Suggestions please.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 7 (4,026 Views)

Re: Remove and check cartridge on right

Check the picture here.  If the flex circuit has been damaged you will need service for the printer.

If the flex is not damaged then try cleaning the cartridge and printer electrical contacts as shown here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
Beaulne
Message 3 of 7 (4,017 Views)

Thanks for the quick and clear response. The right cartridge flex circuit was indeed off its plastic holding socket. I discovered this by comparing with the left cartridge flex circuit. I was able to re-attach it to the socket. But as soon as I push in a cartridge, it comes off the socket again. It is as though the plastic socket has lost its firm grip on the flex circuit, so that, as soon as the cartridge pushes on the flex circuit, the lever effect makes it come off the socket again. Any suggestion for a quick repair? Or a replacement part that I could order to replace the broken socket? 

Honor Student
cherieb
Message 4 of 7 (3,992 Views)

My right cartridge flex circuit was indeed off its plastic holding socket. I could manually  push the black cartridge n but would not seat as solidly as the colored cart as though it was not seated. But as soon as I push in a cartridge, As the previous writer stated, "It is as though the plastic socket has lost its firm grip on the flex circuit, so that, as soon as the cartridge pushes on the flex circuit, the lever effect makes it come off the socket again. Any suggestion for a quick repair? Or a replacement part that I could order to replace the broken socket?"  I have the same error messages as the other questions.  My printer is the all in one printer. The J4580 uses the 901  black cartridge.

Thanks  

Student
chief433
Message 5 of 7 (3,604 Views)

My 2410 gets same error message - so I attached my son's 2410 and guess what?

It gives me the same code - after rebooting the computer shutting down the printer, reinstalling the drivers on the computer.  So what is the problem?

Tutor
alan_b
Message 6 of 7 (3,246 Views)

I'm getting this same error message. After repeated restarts and reseating of the cartridge, and inspection showed no daage to teh flex card and the spring is securely in proper place, I cleaned the contacts and...nothing.

THis is a 7-8 year old machine. What do you think? Not worth repairing?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 7 of 7 (3,231 Views)

alan_b wrote:

I'm getting this same error message. After repeated restarts and reseating of the cartridge, and inspection showed no daage to teh flex card and the spring is securely in proper place, I cleaned the contacts and...nothing.

THis is a 7-8 year old machine. What do you think? Not worth repairing?

What printer model?  If the printer flex is not damaged and the contacts on the printer and cartridges are clean the most likely issue is the cartridge.  If the cartridge is an original HP then check the cartridge warranty as shown here.  If it is a refill/reman then check with your supplier for a replacement and see here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation