Question

Student
flaman_support
Message 1 of 2 (1,866 Views)

Scam phone call after technical support

I was helping a friend out installing an all in one HP printer yesterday. When I arrived, he was on the phone with HP technical support. I told him he could hang up as I would be able to help him myself (I am an IT person). 15 minutes after he was done with the call he got the scam phone call saying he had a virus and that he needed to go to a website to get rid of it (Asian accent on the phone).

It is weird that this call came so fast after the HP tech support call. Someone would start wondering if it is tapped or someone passes on the number. The guy I helped out does not know anything about computers so if I was not there, he would have had fallen into the trap. Not accusing anyone, but it was just weird. Anyone same experience?

Tutor
skyrocketer
Message 2 of 2 (1,824 Views)

Re: Scam phone call after technical support

I got a call like that before but not after I talked with the Microsoft people. You see, I got a new HP laptop and got Microsoft Windows Operating System installed. The call came from 800-698-9034 and it wasn't such a great call. The scammer often stammered about how to respond to my questions. He's got this thick accent and he couldn't even tell me the difference between Microsoft and MAC. 

When he was done reading, all I could say was, "Nice try!"

I got his phone number at reported to the authorities. i looked up his phone number, too. Looks like several otheres got a call from him, too, because he got reported at http://www.callercenter.com/800-698-9034.html for scamming. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation