Question

Honor Student
scarofstar
Message 1 of 15 (14,412 Views)

Slow startup after installing the HP driver and software for Photosmart C4480

I've already noticed the slow startup problem when I first installed the software.

And the reinstallation after I formatted my computer recently has proven that HP software is the only reason that causes the delay.

Everytime when I turn on or restart my computer, the desktop screen freezes for more than 1 minute before the taskbar appears.

(usually the taskbar would start loading right after the desktop screen appears but now it takes more than 1 minute)

It's so annoying and please don't tell me that it's my computer's problem because this situation only appears after I install the HP software.

And I only got two taskbar icons so it shouldn't take that long to load the taskbar.

I wonder what's wrong with it and please help me to solve the problem. Thanks~~~~~

Student
ogopogo
Message 2 of 15 (14,277 Views)

Re: Slow startup after installing the HP driver and software for Photosmart C4480

I have the same problem. When I turn the printer off before starting my computer the problem is solved.  I tried disabling search for printer in control panel, but that didn't work.  My computer tech has no idea what the problem is, however he thought maybe there was a setting inside the printer that was not set correctly for my usb ports on my new computer.  I bought both at the same time.  I'll keep checking back here in case anyone has a fix.
Honor Student
PhoDacBiet
Message 3 of 15 (14,245 Views)

Re: Slow startup after installing the HP driver and software for Photosmart C4480

[ Edited ]

I noticed this problem too except this is for a D5460 printer.  Installing the drivers alone without the other software doesn't cause the problem.  After installing the HP package (HP Essential 2.5 / Solution Center 10.0/ Digital Imaging Monitor 10.0), the taskbar startup is slow as well (~1 minute).  When this happens, my internet explorer won't load my homepage until I notice the Digital Imaging Monitor starting up in the taskbar.  When I uninstall the HP package, the problem goes away.  I only need the Solution Center since that is what I use to print on CDs.

This is beyond annoying and I hope HP can help us figure this out or provide us with better drivers.  I'm even thinking about getting another non-HP printer just to get rid of this "problem".  So sad.

***** FOUND A FIX ****

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Printing&message.id=1388&query.id=62005#M1388

Try installing the printer one more time. After a successful installation, click on START then click on START SEARCH just above the circle with the windows logo on the lower left side of your screen and then type SERVICES.MSC

When the services window opens, find HP CUE DEVICE DISCOVERY SERVICE. Right click on that and then left click on properties. The STARTUP TYPE would show you it is set to AUTOMATIC. Click on the dropdown and chose DISABLE. Hit on APPLY and then OK. Restart your computer.

Guess I'll keep this printer for a little longer afterall. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by PhoDacBiet on 01-16-2009 10:26 PM
Top Student
BlazePC
Message 4 of 15 (13,330 Views)

A common pitfall of many Windows users is to assume that just shutting off services is the proper path.  I had this same problem on a Vista Ultimate x64 machine and noticed my boot/taskbar getting clobbered on each and every boot - resulting in very slow system desktop load/complete times.  Unless you've been directed by the manufacturer to just disable a service integral to an application, always try and do a 'service' delay start first - in the admin SERVICES tab.  In this way, the service is enabled as per default but delayed a bit when booting so as not to interferre with other items that are loading during crunch time.

Worked for me.

If you disagree with this method, try contacting HP and ask what is impacted or what loss of functionality comes with DISABLING the CUE DEVICE DISCOVERY SERVICE.

Student
SB-X
Message 5 of 15 (12,031 Views)

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to add that I had the same problem on my Eee PC which I'm also using to control an HP 4350. (looks like a lot of us experience this going by the number of related posts) The post about disabling the service fixed it. Thanks, PhoDacBiet!

About what the last poster said... Windows XP does not have an easy way to delay startup of services, like Vista, so if you have XP all you can do is disable automatic startup or set it to manual and start it when necessary. (there are some involved ways of delaying services in XP that you can find by searching the web, but there's not a button for it)

Message Edited by SB-X on 08-02-2009 05:34 PM
Top Student
BlazePC
Message 6 of 15 (12,075 Views)

Since posting my original thread on this topic I've learned of a pretty nifty piece of software which I now use on Vista as I wanted to improve boot-time performance.  This program works like a charm for that purpose and is backward compatible with earlier versions of Windows.  It might help you guys with HP software loads at start-up on XP based machines as well.  I still disagree with flat out disabling the egregious HP software, if it's made to function with your hardware there should be a fix or tweak that HP can provide via the support channels.

http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay&PHPSESSID=f0c3dc3a434953507ac59bde5212084b

Worth a look-see and spin around the block.

I think the Microsoft technet program called Bootvis is also still available on the interwebs; it can enhance boot performance as well.

Honor Student
UKWildcat4life
Message 7 of 15 (11,369 Views)

I just installed an officejet 5610 all in one printer using vista business 32 bit.....I had no problems until I checked for HP updates; 5 available updates were available and I chose to install all 5 ; after installing the updates, my desktop boot up became very slow; just like the rest of you described, the same happened with me; everything would boot up rather fast except the digital imaging monitor and that was taking well over two minutes and until that loaded I could not access the internet; I found this thread and followed the directions that you guys had posted and sure enough after I chose disable instead of automatic it fixed the slow boot up issue; this has to be some software conflict going on that HP has not found a fix for or something but anyways I want to thank you guys for posting this thread it really helped me....:smileyhappy:
Teacher
word_Of_Tech
Message 8 of 15 (11,363 Views)

Be carefull on that solution your scanner will be at risk...

"http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Printing&message.id=1388&query.id=62005#M1388"

The hp cue device discovery is the sevice your scanner will need so if your going to disable it your scanner might not gonna work.

But if your scanner is working after you disable the hp cue device discovery your so lucky....

Just accept it that way.Because sooner or later your computer will going to slow, whether the hp software is installed or not. Does it make sense?

19chinovz76
Honor Student
UKWildcat4life
Message 9 of 15 (11,319 Views)

just wanted to say thanks for responding to my post....yes I agree with you; I mean disabling that device did fix the slow boot up but I am sorta worried that it could cause other problems with my printer......do you have any suggestions on how to fix the slow boot up? if I change the setting back to automatic it takes the digital imaging zone about two minutes to boot up; everything else boots up really fast but the problem is I can't access the internet until the digital imaging device loads so it basically puts my internet connection on hold until it finishes booting up; this didn;t happen until I installed five updates for the printer that were supposedly important updates.....thanks......J
Teacher
word_Of_Tech
Message 10 of 15 (11,271 Views)

try to update the software into the version 12.....

i guess what you have is the version 10...

download the version 12 in a different printer....c6380 and install it to your computer and if you reach as far as the connection type just select usb and click on next...and on then next screen, put a check mark on the box that says if you are unable to connect the device now connect it later...in that way only the software will be installed...Good luck

19chinovz76
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation