The parameter is incorrect (13601 Views)
Top Student
IraG
Message 1 of 26 (13,601 Views)
Accepted Solution

The parameter is incorrect

When looking for ink levels are clicking on maintainance, I get the parameter is incorrect.  What do I need to correct?

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 2 of 26 (13,573 Views)

Re: The parameter is incorrect

Hello IraG

In order for the community to be of assistance please provide more information such as: printer model and operating system.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Tutor
milesk
Message 3 of 26 (13,558 Views)

Well, I will give you that data even if the original poster didn't:

"Parameter is incorrect" appears when clicking set maintenance tasks and estimated ink level tabs

1. HP Envy 100 D410 wireless printer
2. Windows 7
3. "The parameter is incorrect" appears when I click the Set Maintenance Tasks and Estimated Ink Levels tabs.

4.  HP h8-1080t

This is exactly my situation and apparently others as well.  I found this posted below this thread under the same topic.  It has had 118 views in addition to the 42 for this post.  There are a number of us out here with this problem and we will appreciate help.  My printer is telling me that I have low ink but it doesn't say whether it is color or B&W and I now can't check the levels and the printed output doesn't indicate any lack of ink.  And access to the maintenance tasks  would also be nice to have again.  This printer is only a few months old and worked fine last week.  Thanks on behalf of all of us with this problem who have no one answering us.  Miles

Top Student
IraG
Message 4 of 26 (13,532 Views)

I have a new HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus.  It is attached to the AT&T modem/router/access point with an ethernet cable.  I have one computer with Microsoft Vista attached to the router with an ethernet cable and a second computer running Microsoft Windows 7 in the network with a wireless connection.  The Window 7 computer works properly.  The Windows Vista computer returns "The parameter is incorrect." when I try to look at the ink levels or try to run maintenance.  HP technical support says the problem is with my modem.  I have one with 802.11g and they say I need 802.11n.  They also say my AT&T router is blocking some ports on the printer.  But then why does my Windows 7 machine work.

Top Student
IraG
Message 5 of 26 (13,530 Views)

The problem was that there is a bug in the HP Officejet Pro 8600 software.  The work around was to reinstall the software and choose "Only Show Me Alters When I Print"  and not the other choice is right away!

Tutor
milesk
Message 6 of 26 (13,524 Views)

Thanks for that but I don't think it helps for the particular situation I have anyway.  Besides it being for another model of printer, and the fact that I have had no problem with checking ink levels or maintenance tasks until suddenly just this week, there is the additional fact that when one installs the Envy software, the only user choice to make is whether you want to connect by USB cable or wirelessly.  

Glad your issue is solved but I am still looking for help.  

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 7 of 26 (13,511 Views)

Hello milesk

The following thread has a marked solution. It may apply to your situation. If it works give ShlomiL some kudos.

Check estimated ink Levels returns "invalid parameter" message...

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

Tutor
milesk
Message 8 of 26 (13,503 Views)

Hi Travis and Thanks.  I felt the Kudos was appropriate for your try even though it was not the solution to my problem.  Apparently dif printer and dif OS and thus not my solution.  I tried what it said at the link you sent me and deleted the xmlcache folder.  No change even after restart.  Thanks anyway for your effort and if you think of any other ideas I would love to know.  I will try anything.  But now that I think of it, do you think I should put the deleted folder back where it was?  

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 9 of 26 (13,479 Views)

Hello milesk

I don't beleive keeping that folder deleted will have any negative effects, but if you can recover it go ahead. That shouldn't hurt anything. It wouldn't hurt to try and gather some more information about your setup. Is your computer attached via usb or over the network?

I would try the opposite setup to your current and see if that makes any difference (ex. switch from network to USB if possible). After rereading your previous post have you attempted to resinstall the software? Might be worth a try. Don't forget to uninstall first if you try it :smileywink:

Envy 100 Software

Also I didn't think to ask this before have you tried to see the remaining ink from the printer panel? The following article shows you press the drop icon (11) and you can see estimated ink levels.

Envy 100 Control Panel

Tutor
milesk
Message 10 of 26 (13,471 Views)

Thank you again Travis.  I really do  appreciate your continuing efforts with me.  I will try all the fixes you have suggested and get back to you.  I just don't have the time at this moment.  More later.  I really do thank you for your time and thoughts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation