Question

Tutor
Vonnie52
Message 1 of 16 (7,810 Views)

Tray 2 HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Premium not recognized

I have the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium. In the printer properties I have configured Tray 1 (top one) for default letter size paper. Tray 2 (bottom tray) for legal size paper. When I try to print legal size paper,  the printer screen says load paper?

I am on Windows 7,  64 Bit

I have also tried powering off the printer removing tray, powering on, etc.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 16 (7,802 Views)

Re: Tray 2 HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Premium not recognized

Hi,

For any print job you will need to select the proper tray.

It is not possible to set a tray according the Paper Size.

Setting a Tray1 as A4 only means the tray contain A4 paper. Tray1 will not be used unless tray1 will be set within the Prining Preferences for the specific print job,

Hope it clarifies,

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Tutor
Vonnie52
Message 3 of 16 (7,800 Views)

Thank you so much for answering this. I did try that however. I have legal paper loaded in tray 2 and I manually selected tray 2, the the printer display says out of paper.I have tried this several times. Of course the tray sticks out a bit since the paper is legal sized but it is inserted firmly. Can't figure out why it keeps saying "Out of Paper"

Honor Student
GuyOwen
Message 4 of 16 (7,432 Views)

This may help, or it may not. I struggled with getting Tray 2 to print at all. It's one thing to load it with paper (of any size), and it's another to load it with a paper type it supports. For example, I wanted plain letter paper in Tray 1 -- no problem. I wanted Glossy HP Brochure Paper in Tray 2. Both Letter-sized.

It would print fine from Tray 1. But Tray 2 would seem to work, then it would pull from Tray 1.

It took me awhile to realize that under Printer Preferences / Paper Quality when I selected Glossy HP Brochure Paper for Tray 2 there was a Warning Symbol that appears next to almost every Paper Type selection on that list for Tray 2 -- a small yellow triangle with an Exclamation! Point. Then I realized my mistake: Tray 2 will only support Plain Paper. The Glossy HP Brochure Paper must go in Tray 1.

As soon as I switched them, it works fine.

See if your Legal Paper is anything other than Plain.

If this does not work, try...

1) Turning Off the printer.

2) Unplug its Power Cord -- important step. You must unplug it. Do not plug it back in until you follow the next steps in sequence.

3) Pull Tray 2 completely out, then reinsert it all the way.

4) Next, lift the top section of the Printer off of the Tray 2 base unit.

5) Carefully reseat it.

6) Plug the printer back in.

7) Turn it On.

8) Reconfigure your selections for paper in each Tray using Printer Preferences or Control Panel / Printer.

9) Test these settings by sending a few new print jobs.

Good luck!

This "discovery" took me a few months to realize my own mistake. Why Tray 2 refuses to support anything other than Plain Paper is a mystery to me.

Honor Student
alprint
Message 5 of 16 (7,337 Views)

This is absurd.  Why buy a 2 tray printer if you can't put in different kinds of paper.  I want regular paper in Tray 1 and envelopes in Tray 2.  But when I print the envelope (even though I say select from Tray 2) the 8600 prints from Tray 1.  I just got this printer to replace my 8500 and I will return it next week if I can't get this to work.

Honor Student
GuyOwen
Message 6 of 16 (7,323 Views)

Not only that, but I also realized when you make a Copy it initially pulls from Tray 1. So if you have it pre-loaded with Photo Glossy, you lose a costly sheet if you forget to change out the paper. It ignores the Printer Preferences where I have the Default Tray set as Tray 2 when it makes copies. I have not yet found a setting that changes this.

Bummer!

Nice printer, otherwise.

Dumb driver creation.

Honor Student
GuyOwen
Message 7 of 16 (7,319 Views)

Replying to my own Post.

A quick search with Google took me right back to the HP Forum where an HP employee described how to change the Default Copy Try Selection. It's through the printer's LCD control interface.

Click on Cop, then Settings, then it's pretty straightforward from there. Set Paper Size and Type, then click the down arrow to get to Tray Selection. If you have Plain Paper in 2 because of the driver restrictions not recognizing anything in Tray 2 other than Plain Paper, choose 2 for Copies.

Honor Student
alprint
Message 8 of 16 (7,319 Views)

The same thing happened on my 8500.  The copy would go on my envelope in Tray 1 unless I reembered to change the setting (each time) to Tray 2 in the Copy menu.  Also if you get a fax error report, this seems to go to whatever is in Tray 1.  If it doesn't like the paper, it will generate another error.

Top Student
amg7468
Message 9 of 16 (5,363 Views)

Also, in my printer preferences, under options there is a "Driver" tab. In this tab the two-sided duplex option was already ticked but I had to tick the "Optional paper input tray" box to get Tray 2 to work.

I now have Tray 2 set to be my default tray (which will only accept plain paper for reasons unknown?) both for print (through paper handling printer settings via printer utility on my mac) and copy (through the printers' touch screen copy settings). 

I put my photo paper in tray 1 and "Lock" tray 1through paper handling printer settings via printer utility on my mac. According to HP this will prevent the photo paper being used when tray 2 runs out of plain paper. I haven't tested this yet!

Why they can't just tell you this in the instructions you get with Tray 2 I don't know!!

Honor Student
sherrieirene
Message 10 of 16 (3,760 Views)

That works for now, but will it change?  I have had it working before I did  you sequence  and it goes back to pulling from tray one where you have different media than plain letter.  I put plain paper in tray two and envelopes in tray one.  I worked at it for a while and then for some reason the it starts drawing from tray one for plain paper which it didn't have.  I am hoping that this pocedure you gave which I have now done keeps working.  It gets really old having it keep switching back to tray one for plain paper, or taking out tray one to change the paper. Thanks for your help.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation