Question

Tutor
John_H_Denning
Message 1 of 20 (27,351 Views)
Accepted Solution

USB Device Not Recognized

My computer OS is Windows 7 Home Premium.

A new HP Officejet Pro 8000 (809a) printer added to system 02 June 2010.

Whenever the computer is activated from Sleep or any Energy Saving mode; or just every 15 minutes up to one hour or more, while the computer is in use, the printer becomes unavailable and a Windows generated Message appears just above the taskbar - it reads:

One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it.
For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.
(taskbar icon is present below the message)

Clicking on the above message results in the following:

! One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it.
The location of the device is shown in bold type.
USB Root Hub (8 ports)
Unused Port
Unknown Device
Unused Port
Unused Port
Unused Port
Unused Port
Unused Port
Unused Port

Recommendation
Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize it, replace the device.
[Close]

Windows > Devices and Printers shows (among other devices):

The "HP Officejet Pro 8000 A809 Series" with the green check mark indicating default printer.

Below that is displayed  "! Unknown Device"

The Properties of the Unknown Device are:

Unknown Device Properties > General Tab
Unknown Device
Device type: Universal Serial Bus controllers
Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)
Device Status
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems.
(Code 43)

The quick fix is to disconnect the USB cable at the printer, wait 10 seconds, reconnect the USB cable at the printer, then the "Unknown Device disappears from the Devices and Printers display and the printer works properly again.

The next time the computer returns to use after energy saving the "USB Device Not Recognized" message appears and the printer is disabled.

The longer fix is to remove the printer at the Devices and Printers display so there is no printer.

Then disconnect the USB cable at the printer and reinstall the printer reconnecting the USB cable at the printer when the HP software so indicates.  Then the printer works again until the computer returns from any Energy Saving mode.

This is tiresome and did not occur until this printer was installed on 02 June.

By the way, the printer was purchased at the local Office Depot and consultation has resulted in the request to return the printer for exchange.

So, is it a printer hardware or firmware problem?

HP Support dose not list any updates or firmware flash availability.

Help!

John Denning, Covington, Washington

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 2 of 20 (27,336 Views)

Re: USB Device Not Recognized

Hi, have you tried to unplug your computer from the wall power plug. (shut down Win7 first)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
If my answer was helpful click the “Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks”!
I am not a HP employee.
Tutor
John_H_Denning
Message 3 of 20 (27,315 Views)

Problem solved -- the printer was somehow defective.

A replacement printer of the identical specification (HP Officejet Pro 8000 A809 Series) was obtained and there is now no problem.

John

Top Student
georwc
Message 4 of 20 (27,183 Views)

I have the same problem. this printer is a replacement as my orginal new one was defective and replaced by HP under warranty. It is tedious to either remove and insert the power cord or the usb cord or to turn off the printer and then turn it on several times a day since I use  the computer and scanner several times a day.

HP if you are monitoring posts do you feel this unit is defective and if so contact me to arrange an exchange.

George

Student
hansmitta
Message 5 of 20 (26,886 Views)

No reconoce mi computador al usb flash drive v 100 w.

Gracias por la ayuda que me proporcionen.

Hans

Honor Student
alden1949
Message 6 of 20 (23,865 Views)

I have the same problem with flash USB drive - suddenly ot's not recognizedby my laptop and only I rebootted  it laptop start see it again. But it looks like temp fix. Today I attched external back up HD that worked couple days before and now it's says "unknown device" What is permanent fix for this problem

Top Student
krlklr
Message 7 of 20 (23,381 Views)

I have a similar problem with an adapter. I have a new HP 505B minitower with Win& pro(32b) that has 6 usb ports. My linksys wireless adapter is only recognised and powered if I use the front two ports, but if I plug in the back I get the "unknown device" message and the adapter is turned off. Why? f10 shows the title of the adapter when I start with the adapter in the back,but as I load windows the power to the adapter is turned off and it becomes an "unknown device".

Student
CobbJob
Message 8 of 20 (22,907 Views)

After trying all the registry changes and un-installing drivers and messing with updating usb drivers and un installing usb in device manager. I did not think this would work, and was just a waste of another 15 minutes after wasting 5 hours.

My issue: previously working USB connected HP OfficeJet stopped working. 'Device Unknown' in device manager. Win XP SP3.

Powered off PC and left it UNPLUGGED for 5 minutes. Son of a gun - IT WORKED. Must force some sort of a reload on the mother board - I dunno.
Top Student
krlklr
Message 9 of 20 (22,856 Views)

The power plug idea hasn't worked with win 7. Strangely the same USB port works fine with a new adapter that actually draws a higher current! Karl

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 10 of 20 (22,851 Views)

How many USB devices do you have plugged-in on the back panel?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
If my answer was helpful click the “Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks”!
I am not a HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation