Question

Student
craftygater
Message 1 of 2 (2,586 Views)

USB port not recognizing printer

I have a HP Pavillion 6645c with windows 98 that works great.  My daughter gave me an HP printer 656c that works great on my HP Pavillion N5415 laptop with xp. When I load the software on the 6645c desktop I have trouble getting the software to load correctly.  If I select the lpt1 port the software will load.  If I select the USB port (where the printer is plugged in-either one-front or back) the software will not locate the printer to load.  I am using the correct software for windows 98 on the 6645c.  Both usb ports (front and back) work because I use an external hard drive for storage in back and a cordless mouse in front.  If I can get the software to load and try to print I get an error message saying networking error can't find printer.  I have installed and uninstalled the software several times.

Is there anything I can do the get the computer to recognize the printer thru the usb ports? Or is there such a thing and a converter from usb to lpt1 port? 

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 2 of 2 (2,480 Views)

Re: USB port not recognizing printer

First of all, you need to make sure your USB ports are enabled and working. If you use other USB devices in them, then the ports should be okay. However, it is very common as time goes by, to lose port functionality, especially on front ports. I personally always connect a printer or scanner to a rear USB port. If that does not work, then I would check in Windows 98 for functionality:

1. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
2. Double-click the System icon.
3. Select the Device Manager tab.
4. Click the plus (+) icon next to the Universal
Serial Bus Controller option.
• If you see a USB host controller and a USB
root hub listed, USB is probably enabled.
• If you do not see these devices listed, refer to
the computer’s documentation or contact the
computer’s manufacturer for more
information on enabling and setting up USB.
5. Use a parallel cable to connect your printer to
the computer if you cannot enable USB.

Our advice is strictly limited to the question(s) asked and is based on the information provided to us.  HP does not assume any responsibility or liability for the advice given. 

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation