Question

Honor Student
weavrs5
Message 1 of 6 (3,604 Views)

USB to Parallel printer adapter cable not working

Windows 7 - HP PC to HP Deskjet 820 Cse printer.  Works on old PC, but now need USB to parallel cable.  Cannot get the printer to print on this new HP PC.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 6 (3,578 Views)

Re: USB to Parallel printer adapter cable not working

Do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows 7?  If it is a 64 bit version then you will need the patch here.  Also, make sure the converter you have supports Windows 7. The converters in these threads have been confirmed by users to work with Windows 7 x64.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
Pico
Message 3 of 6 (3,573 Views)

a converter adapter cable requires driver to work properly.

also ensure the right driver is installed - either 32 or 64 bit driver. Go to the hardware vendor site, they usually host their drivers updates online.

Honor Student
joefran
Message 4 of 6 (3,392 Views)

Look ing for more help with the usb to parele adaptor. This is a usd to 25 pin female d plug. I am using it to print to an old encade printer using vista drivers. Windows 7 64 bit. Looks like a generic cable came with a minny disk with drivers. 

First time I installed it I plugged the bare cable windows installed standard drivers. I pluged in the printer added the printer using the vista drivers and it worked perfectly. I dont use this printer much so I am not sure when it stopped working. It seemed to have a link to a bad tech support experience with Majic jack and they had me update all my usb drivers it has not worked since.

I have tried deleting usb devices and done a bare power off reboot with just the print cable no luck.

I tried installing the cable on my windows 7 laptop and it works fine.

Any Ideas

Help

Joe

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 6 (3,386 Views)

joefran wrote:

Look ing for more help with the usb to parele adaptor. This is a usd to 25 pin female d plug. I am using it to print to an old encade printer using vista drivers. Windows 7 64 bit. Looks like a generic cable came with a minny disk with drivers. 

First time I installed it I plugged the bare cable windows installed standard drivers. I pluged in the printer added the printer using the vista drivers and it worked perfectly. I dont use this printer much so I am not sure when it stopped working. It seemed to have a link to a bad tech support experience with Majic jack and they had me update all my usb drivers it has not worked since. 

I have tried deleting usb devices and done a bare power off reboot with just the print cable no luck.

I tried installing the cable on my windows 7 laptop and it works fine. [snip]

I have had (and heard of) poor results with USB-parallel converters under Windows 7.  The posts flagged here have models that have been reported by users to work in Windows 7.

The patch mentioned previously in this thread only applies to the HP Deskjet 720/722/820/822/1000 printers.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
shoshoni
Message 6 of 6 (2,032 Views)

I purchaced a parallel db25 female to usb adapter and i plugged it into the printer and the computer usb port and it did not work. i said that it found my printer but then when i printed something, it just stayed in the printer Q. after experimenting with different things, I figure out that you first need to plug in the adapter without the printer connected and let Win 7 x64 in my case, find the adapter and load the driver for it. then after a short time plug in the adapter to the parallel printer cable and let windows load the printer driver. this works every time. I was thinking that I had a bad adapter cable and was going to send it back but finally i got it working. the adapter has electronics inside of it and windows needs to recognize it first. and load its drivers. BTW i bought the cheepest cables adapters that I could find.

also my printer was an HP laserjet 4L, windows had the drivers, but you may need to while in the find printer section, do a windows driver update to update the list of old printers.

once again the steps that I took to make my parallel printer work on win7 x64 usb port was:

1.  plug in the usb end of the adapter to the computer usb port and let windows load the driver for it.

2.  reboot the computer, may not be needed.

3.  plug in the printer (parallel cable end) to the adapter (25 pin connector). win7 will then load the printer driver.

you may need to go into the (devices and printers) and find your printer that win7 loaded for you. if you have been

trying several times and failed prior, then you may have several printers in the list that are not active so pay attention to that. you may remove all printer from the list that do not work. hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation