Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

It's become clear that print options vary with different versions of Word 2010.  My case with HP was escalated to a higher level but the conclusion was that this is a Microsoft issue that HP can do nothing about..    It's looking like my only alternative now is to pay Microsoft for support.  I don't know if getting a resolution to my duplex printing problem would help you but I'll post whatever solution I get, if I get one. 

HP Recommended
Thank you! It's most appreciated. 🙂
HP Recommended

I don't know that this will help you, but after realizing that Adobe wouldn't print double-sided for me, either, I deleted the printer and downloaded/reinstalled the drivers.  Much to my surprise, it works perfectly now.  (Well, except that I can't seem to print greyscale/double sided at the same time, but that's another issue entirely.)

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions, Kambria.  My printer properly prints PDF files using the duplexer.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the HP software and verified that I have the latest HP drivers and Office updates.  It's pretty clear that the printer's hardware and software are working properly. 

Wildebill

HP Recommended

Hi... I have a couple of weird issues: HP LJ Pro P1606DN, installed as a network printer, Window 7 64bit, Office 2010.

Issue #1: When I installed the printer originally, I made notes on how paper feeds (so I know if I'm using special paper which end is up, goes in first, etc.) - those notes show print side up, top in. I was printing something today (wanted to just reuse a parly printed sheet of paper) and it did exactly the opposite of what my notes show. If I hand mark an 'X' at the bottom of a sheet in the tray it somes out with the 'X' at the TOP of the SECOND page to print. Both sides are printing with the correct orientation, just the opposite of what it used to do!

Issue #2: If I fiddle with the printer settings THROUGH Word at all, it goes into manual duplex mode and I have to exit and restart Word to get it out of that mood!

Issue #3: When I try to manage the printer through the network interface using it's IP address, I get a screen that shows a layout where only the words "HP LaserJet Professional P1606dn" are right and most of the titles of field on the rest of the pages say only "No Strings in ROM"

Issue #4 (last): I uninstalled the printer, went to HP and got the most current software for it. Managed to install the drivers, etc. with no problems, but cannot run the firmware update. I've tried 3-4 times and each time I get the message to cycle the printer off and on and try again.

I can work around the orientation issue with a new sticker on my printer, but I just don't get it, and I'd rather it worked correctly!

HP Recommended

Hi

Yesterday I bought a Photosmart 5514, and I am very pleased with, except that I cant get it to print double-sided. (Automatic duplex).

Is this printer equipped with built-in automatic duplex, as it says in the adds?

Running Win7, x64

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Mikael1711 wrote:

Hi

Yesterday I bought a Photosmart 5514, and I am very pleased with, except that I cant get it to print double-sided. (Automatic duplex).

Is this printer equipped with built-in automatic duplex, as it says in the adds?

Running Win7, x64 [snip]

See the instructions in this post for enabling the automatic duplexer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@Bob_Headrick wrote:

@Mikael1711 wrote:

Hi

Running Win7, x64 [snip]

See the instructions in this post for enabling the automatic duplexer.

Hi Bob

Thank you for the answer. I already tried that, but no luck, there is no "Installable Options" in the menu.

Do you know if this printer really is equipped with auto-duplex? Are there anyway I can check it out?

Thank you

HP Recommended

@Mikael1711 wrote:
[snip] Thank you for the answer. I already tried that, but no luck, there is no "Installable Options" in the menu.  Do you know if this printer really is equipped with auto-duplex? Are there anyway I can check it out? [snip]

I do not have a Photosmart 5514 and have never seen one, but the poster in this thread indicated that his did print with the duplexer automatically (at least once...).  This indicates to me the Photosmart 5514 does have automatic duplexing hardware.

Given that I downloaded the full featured Windows 7 x64 driver from HP and installed it.  You may need to be an administrator to do the following:  click Start, Devices and Printers, then Right-clickon the Photosmart 5510d Series.  From the list select Printer Properties (not Properties), click the Device Settings tab and make sure the Automatic Duplex Printing Unit is set to installed, OK.  

Photosmart 5510d.png

To use the duplexer as default right click on the Photosmart Series 5510d and select Printing Preferences.  Click the Layout tab, then select the appropriate option for printing on both sides.

Photosmart 5510d preferences.png

If this does not work for you please provide details of which step fails and the results you see.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

This is a placeholder to mark the thread as answered.  (This makes it more visible in searches of the forum.)  To see the solutions read the first post in this thread.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.