Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Here's a solution that was provided for my  cp1160  (and it worked):

You'll have to add a printer using the Business Inkjet 1200 check-in driver, and using the existing port LPT1 temporarily to finish the driver installation (my printer uses the USB virtual port). After completion, go to BIJ 1200 printer's properties page  and follow the steps outlined in the following website.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01087111 

After that, change the port to the one which you normally use to connect to the cp1160.

HP Recommended

@El23 wrote:
I am using a HP PSC 1510 printer on an ACER laptop running windows 7. Until I bought a new laptop I was always able to print ob both sides of the page automatically, but since upgrading I have downloaded new software from the HP website and tried every conceivable setting in them but the only way I can double sided print is manually, having to only put in the correct amount of paper to prevent the printer from running ahead of itself, then I have to rearrange all the pages and put them back in the printer, it is very time consumming and irritating. Looking at your solutions in response to prior quetsions I have discovered that under installable options I don't have he one you refer to as Duplex unit (for 2-sided printing). the only options I have are ;  allow manual duplexing , activate the hardware auto-off feature and configure print cartridges.

Hmm...  AFAIK there is no automatic duplex option available for the PSC 1510, which is confirmed in HP's specifications here.  The automatic duplexer, if it were available, would automatically print the front and back side of each page without any user intervention.  

The PSC 1510 supports manual duplexing, where the odd pages are printed and then loaded back in the printer to print the even pages.  If the order of pages is "wrong" you might check in the Advanced tab for page order.

psc1500.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@milgrom wrote:

Here's a solution that was provided for my  cp1160  (and it worked):

You'll have to add a printer using the Business Inkjet 1200 check-in driver, and using the existing port LPT1 temporarily to finish the driver installation (my printer uses the USB virtual port). After completion, go to BIJ 1200 printer's properties page  and follow the steps outlined in the following website.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01087111 

After that, change the port to the one which you normally use to connect to the cp1160.

Thanks!  This finally worked.  For all of you Win 7 users out there.  Let Windows install your printer as normal.  Then go to "Devices and Printers" and "Add a Printer".  Add the printer to LPT1 even though you eventually want to use a virtual USB port.  Add the HP Business inkjet 1200 printer.  After the printer is added, go to "devices and printers" again.  Right click on the Business Inkjet 1200 and choose "printer properties".  On the Device Settings Tab click the option for Duplex device "installed" and click okay.  Again right click on the 1200 printer and choose Printer properties.  Click the Port tab.  Find the virtual usb port where your cp1160 was installed and click it.  Now both the cp1160 and the 1200 printers are both installed on this port.  I left the cp1160 installed even though I don't use it.  Otherwise Windows tries to install it again every time it recognizes it.

I tried this basic procedure with the 6500 series printer driver, but the computer kept getting confused by the port ... this may be because I tried to install it on a USB port not LPT1.  Thus the 6500 driver may also work with the above procedure.

HP Recommended

I have a officejet 5510 and am running Word 2007 on Windows 7 64 bit. When I print double sided the printer does not print on the back of page one, then does all the rest double sided. Changed the printing to back to front, but still does the same thing.

HP Recommended

Hello Bob,

I have a Photosmart C309a that I run connected to three computers using a wireless network. Two of the three computers use Windows XP and are fine. The third computer uses Windows 7 and has a problem when printing. I have the default printing preference set to use the automatic duplex module, which works fine, except that the printing is reduced and prints at smaller than full size. This is true using both Microsoft Word and WordPerfect (as well as Excel and Quattro and other programs, such as my CAD program). I installed the most recent full set of software/drivers, but this did not solve the problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Ken

HP Recommended

Bob,

Thanks very much!

I can once again get what I paid for with my CP2025 Color Laser Printer.  In WinXP it worked great.

Suggest you pass this little tid bit on to the techs that help us lowly users.

At least four tried to fix mine and all wound up telling me auto duplex wouldn't work with my printer usig Win7.

BTW, the universal drive gives auto duplex but no color.

Again thank you.

>don<

HP Recommended

I was using my HP 1320 with auto duplex printing with no problems.  Now it prints one side, pulls the paper back in up to about an inch and then stops.  I remove paper and open and shuts door for ink cartridge and then I need to restart the print command.  I did have a power failure shortly before this started to happen. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have an Hp Officejet Pro 8000, and I cannot enable any of my two-sided prinitng options. I have tried the many links and instructions that you have provided here, I.e updating drivers, trying to look for installable options, etc. However each one ends in a dead end. Mind you when I first purchased this printer a year ago I had no issues with double-sided printing. It has just started recently. Is there a possibility that another driver is blocking this option? Why do I not see installable options when I run the printer as an admin under device settings. Where can I find a driver to install duplex printing? In other words I'm stuck.

Even more curiously, when I use the printer on my laptop, it has no issues with doublesided printing. Both the lapttop and the desktop are hp products, and Im running windows Vista on my desktop, and I have successfully had two sided printing on my desktop in the past. Why won't it work now?

I hope you can help!

HP Recommended

@karalfuller wrote:

I have an Hp Officejet Pro 8000, and I cannot enable any of my two-sided prinitng options. I have tried the many links and instructions that you have provided here, I.e updating drivers, trying to look for installable options, etc. However each one ends in a dead end. Mind you when I first purchased this printer a year ago I had no issues with double-sided printing. It has just started recently. Is there a possibility that another driver is blocking this option? Why do I not see installable options when I run the printer as an admin under device settings. Where can I find a driver to install duplex printing? In other words I'm stuck.

Even more curiously, when I use the printer on my laptop, it has no issues with doublesided printing. Both the lapttop and the desktop are hp products, and Im running windows Vista on my desktop, and I have successfully had two sided printing on my desktop in the past. Why won't it work now? 

How is the printer connected?  What driver are you using?  What exactly do you see when you go to the Printers folder, right click on the 8000 and select Run as Administrator, Properties, (continue), Device Settings?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have similar problems as others on the thread but haven't found any solutions that have worked.  I have a PSC 1510 and my goal is to do manual duplex printing.  I have had the printer for years and it has always worked with my older laptop running xp.  I just bought an HP DV6 running windows 7 64-bit and cannot print on both sides.  I mark the appropriate boxes in the print preferences page and still when it prints it will print all the odd pages and then all the even pages but on separate pages, without asking me to stop and turn the pages around like it used to.  I've installed the new drivers from HP's site for windows 7 and have also tried the fix where you go into the advanced tab of the properties page and toggle off and back on the enable duplex printing setting, sandwiched between restarts. 

Please Help!

Thanks,

-Chris

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.