Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

@stevebell_28 wrote:

An update to my 5/27 posting above about the HP Office Jet 6480:  (1) Duplex 2-sided printing works perfectly when using the 6480 as a stand-alone copy machine; (2) Still prints only single-sided from the Windows & pc.  I'm open to all suggestions!  Thanks.

I tried a few things and can reproduce the issue under a certain case:  if the user making the changes does not have rights to "manage this printer" the settings are not kept.  There is no error message in this case to indicate a problem, the changes are just ignored.

Try the following:  right click on the J6400 series printer, select Printer Properties then click on the Security tab.  Next click on your user name and make sure the "manage this printer", Allow box is checked.  You may need to do this as a user with administrative privileges.  Having this box checked allowed me to set the duplexer as installed or not installed.  Without the box checked the settings apear to be changed but the changes do not take effect.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Model Deskjet F2280

OS Windows 7 Pro 32 Bit

About version  (0.3.7071.0)

The manual Duplex option has disappeared sometime over the last 3-4 weeks.

When I go to properies, Features there's just no sign of the Duplex option any longer

Anyone any ideas what to do,  I've tried reinstalling the software but that makes no difference

HP Recommended

In Solutions Search space: type your (windows version) Office Jet 6480 Duplex printing patch  and you are directed to what to do to fix the problem. I have similar problem I only stumbled upon the patch 2-sided or printing problems did not give any help. I still am doing something wrong but it seems to have worked for thousands of others. Best of Luck!   TechnoD2311

HP Recommended

Hi Bob - I have Win 7 64 bit Enterprise OS on my laptop. I've installed, run all the updates and auto duplexins does not work. I've enabled/installed the duplexer in the printer properties, but no auto duplex. I uninstalled and reinstalled - still not auto duplexing. Any suggestion on how I can get this very valuable feature enabled and function?

Thanks, [text removed for privacy]

HP Recommended

Bob:  Your solution for the disappearing "Enable Duplex" printer property worked fine.  The printer now lists the "automatic double-sided" option and I can select it.  A constant message of "Duplex Hardware Not Installed" can be ignored - select "continue anyway" and it works as intended.  Kudos on both of these points.

One remaining problem:  The automatic dubplex works only for documents with an even number of pages.  If the document has an odd number of pages, only the final page prints and the print job ends as if everything had printed.  If I then add a bogus, unnecessary final page so that the number of pages is even, automatic duplex works just like it did in my old Windows environment.  I can live with this, but it's hinky.  Any more good ideas?  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@stevebell_28 wrote:

Bob:  Your solution for the disappearing "Enable Duplex" printer property worked fine.  The printer now lists the "automatic double-sided" option and I can select it.  A constant message of "Duplex Hardware Not Installed" can be ignored - select "continue anyway" and it works as intended.  Kudos on both of these points.

One remaining problem:  The automatic dubplex works only for documents with an even number of pages.  If the document has an odd number of pages, only the final page prints and the print job ends as if everything had printed.  If I then add a bogus, unnecessary final page so that the number of pages is even, automatic duplex works just like it did in my old Windows environment.  I can live with this, but it's hinky.  Any more good ideas?  Thanks.

I have never seen this odd issue on my Officejet 7410, Photosmart 2610 or Photosmart c309a.  What printer model do you have?  What operating system? The "Duplex hardware not installed" error seems to be one I have heard of in the C7280 and similar series.  My recollection is there was a patch for that on the HP download page.  I do not know if it would help the odd pages issue....  [Edit - OK, I see from your post two weeks ago that you have the Officejet j6480 and Windows 7 x64.  There does not seem to be any fix posted for this model and no mention of the odd page problem.  One thing you might try would be to install an alternate printer such as the Deskjet 6550 using Add a Printer, Local Printer, select the same port as the Officejet 6480, then click on Windows Update when the list of printers comes up.  Once the list repopulates select HP as the manufacturer and select the Deskjet 6500 Series.]

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks, Bob. 

Unfortunately, I can't follow your suggestion because my OfficeJet 6480 isn't connected to my pc as a "local printer" but rather runs wirelessly through my Verizon home network, so I don't have the option to use the same printer port - the system searches for available wireless printers and the only such printer is the 6480.  The frustrating thing for me is that the  6480 always worked perfectly as a wireless printer until I upgraded to Windows 7...

I, too, have searched the HP website and can't find a download addressing this problem.  While I'd eventually like to solve this, given the choice of cabling my printer or having to "force" even-page-numbered duplex jobs, I'll go with the latter.  The wireless option is just too handy. 

If anything else comes up about this, let me know.  I truly appreciate your time and efforts here.  Thanks.   Steve.

HP Recommended

@stevebell_28 wrote:

Thanks, Bob. 

Unfortunately, I can't follow your suggestion because my OfficeJet 6480 isn't connected to my pc as a "local printer" but rather runs wirelessly through my Verizon home network, so I don't have the option to use the same printer port - the system searches for available wireless printers and the only such printer is the 6480.  The frustrating thing for me is that the  6480 always worked perfectly as a wireless printer until I upgraded to Windows 7... [snip]

Try the following:  go to the Devices and Printers folder and right click on the Officejet 6480, select Printer Properties, Ports and see what port name the Officejet 6840 is using.  (It will probably be something like HP_192.168..... and have a type of HP TCP/IP port.)  Record this port name for the next setp.  Next Cancel, then select Add a Printer, Add a Local Printer, Use an Existing Port and select the port found previously for the Officejet 6840, Next, select Windows Update, then once the list repopulates select the Deskjet 6500 series.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

C410a moves the image, changing the margons, making folding cards, brochures, etc. out of registration.

HP Recommended

@Craigr2317 wrote:

Hi Bob - I have Win 7 64 bit Enterprise OS on my laptop. I've installed, run all the updates and auto duplexins does not work. I've enabled/installed the duplexer in the printer properties, but no auto duplex. I uninstalled and reinstalled - still not auto duplexing. Any suggestion on how I can get this very valuable feature enabled and function?  Thanks, [text removed for privacy]

What printer model? What driver are you using - one from the original product CD or one downloaded from HP?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.