Question

Tutor
ethrestroh
Message 1 of 9 (5,778 Views)

What is the shelf life of compatible brand ink cartridges?

I would like to know about shelf life of compatible brand ink cartridges?
Tutor
ethrestroh
Message 2 of 9 (5,760 Views)

Re: What is the shelf life of compatible brand ink cartridges?

hi,

forgive me for the ignorance but I am quite surprise by getting not any reqply. I am waiting for any genuine reply. Thanks

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 9 (5,748 Views)

ethrestroh wrote:
I would like to know about shelf life of compatible brand ink cartridges?

It will depend a lot on the particular cartridge type and also how good a job the refiller or remanufacturer did. Generally the "compatible" cartrdiges for HP are cartridges that have been used once (or more), then collected and refilled.  The quality of this process can vary greatly, and in general you can expect a much higher failure rate for compatible cartridges compared to the real thing.  The following reliability studies may be interesting:  here and here.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
ethrestroh
Message 4 of 9 (5,733 Views)

it might be true, i think there are some factors like hot- cold environment, dust, types of use and as you said types of cartrdges etc.. affects the shelf life of cartridge, I think so. I might be wrong.
Top Student
nathanplane
Message 5 of 9 (5,525 Views)

the shelf life should be vary by user, becuase it depend on type of usage, but average life should be 1 to 2 years.  
Top Student
RickySmith
Message 6 of 9 (5,478 Views)

Its true that the shelf life is really depend on the user because its depend on which type of printing he did and which type of colors used for it.And if it is not used for some time,then also it will affect the shelf life.
Top Student
nathanplane
Message 7 of 9 (5,467 Views)

Some cheap ink cartridges are really cheap in quality. So we should be more careful before buying any cheap printer cartridges.         

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 9 (5,453 Views)

RickySmith wrote:
Its true that the shelf life is really depend on the user because its depend on which type of printing he did and which type of colors used for it.And if it is not used for some time,then also it will affect the shelf life.

The normal definition of "shelf life" is the cartridge life in storage before it is ever placd in the printer (sitting on the shelf...). New cartridges will go bad just sitting around new in the package at a rate that depends on several factors that include temperature, humidity, temperature swings and other factors. Cartridges that have been remanufactured have additional issues related to how the nozzles are sealed, how the original cartridge was treated before and during the remanufacturing process, ink compositions and other factors. 

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
nathanplane
Message 9 of 9 (5,415 Views)

Very well answer bob. As I said the life is depends on usage so we have to care ink cartridge. Like temperature (68 to 77 degree Fahrenheit). Remove cartridges from their packages only when you are going to use it. Don’t touch the sensitive electrical components or metal strip. These are the basic ink cartridges handling tips.  

Thanks 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation