Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Ciara_B wrote:

Hi hagerman26,

The HP564 photo cartridge is only for printers with 5 ink systems, more details here

If you contact phone support, they may replace your photo for a regular black.

Kind Regards, Ciara

The problem for me is how these are packaged at Sam's club. (I'm not sure if it's Sam's fault or HP's, but there is something seriously wrong with this. ) Observe...

I own an HP Photosmart printer. I've looked under the hood and noted it has 4 cartridges (cyan, magenta, yellow, and black). It tells me I need HP 564 cartridges. I go to Sam's Club, make my way to the printer ink section and find the following 3 options:

HP 564XL Color Inkjet Cartridge
•Combo pack includes Photo Black, Cyan, Magenta and Yellow long lasting ink cartridges
HP 564XL Black Inkjet Cartridge - 2 pk.
•Get two long-lasting black inkjet print cartridges for a great value
HP 564XL Tri-color Inkjet Cartridge Combo Pack
•Combo pack includes Cyan, Magenta and Yellow long lasting ink cartridges

I'm in need of all 4 colors and that first pack contains all 4, so I'm good to go... except I'm not.

Why is there a 4 pack, that contains the black used in printers with 5 ink systems?!?

After reading this thread I've learned I should have bought the other 2, (the 2 black pack and a 3 color pack which, interestingly enough, would result in a total of 5 cartridges for my 4 cartridge printer.)

Wait... let me get this straight... If I have a 5 cartridge printer, I need to buy the 4 pack, but if I've got a 4 cartridge printer... I need to buy 5 cartridges?!?

That's possibly the dumbest thing I've heard. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to by some hotdogs and buns... Smiley Happy

P.S. Thankfully, I discovered that Black HP 564 <> Black HP 564 before opening the wrapper on the individual cartridge (but after getting it out of the "caution: there's a good chance you'll be seriously hurt by this indestructable clear plastic" packaging), so there's a chance I'll be able to settle this with Sam's.

HP Recommended

This is a ridiculous way for HP to conduct business.  I've been on the phone with their technical support for nearly 40 minutes -- not only do they continue to blame me for the error (rather than their bizarre cartridge naming scheme), but they act like I'm the only person in the world who has made this cartridge purchasing error.

Right now I have a lot of time on my hands so it's worthwhile to spend time and stand-up for the principle of this issue and make HP correct this.  It's amazing to me that the amount of time I'm on the phone talking to representatives and supervisors has surely cost HP more in support cost than it would have to simply say "sorry" and remedy the problem.

HP Recommended

Hi 1tucc

Just to confirm - you've purchased the Photo Black cartridge instead of the regular Black? I'd like to help follow up if I can, so I'm going to private message you on this topic.

Kind Regards

Ciara

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01839024

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I've experienced the same problem.  When I called HP about it, the support personnel could not provide a satisfactory answer.  I've tried Office Depot, Wal-Mart, Officemax, and just about any major store that you can think of.  None of them had the same cartridges as the ones that came with my Printer/Copier/FAX.

If I'd have known this would be an issue when I bought the printer, which I paid $400 at Best Buy, I would have selected a different brand.

I've got an HP Laptop, and it works great.  I've had no problems with it at all.

I think I'm going to go up on my roof, and throw this printer off.  I'll be filming it when I do.  If you'd like to receive a copy of the video, email me {Personal Information Removed}

HP support sucks as usual!  I worked for a major player in the semiconductor market for over 13 years.  I often wondered why they would not by HP printers, with the exception of large format (which I taught myself how to service).

Go HP!  Keep up the solid work ethic!

HP Recommended

Hi 1964joe

I'd like to help if I can.

I'm concerned that the phone support team didn't provide you with details on this matter, as outlined in the link below

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01839024

Also I'm not sure which cartridges you mean when you say "I've tried Office Depot, Wal-Mart, Officemax, and just about any major store that you can think of.  None of them had the same cartridges as the ones that came with my Printer/Copier/FAX." The HP564 cartridges are widely available. Was it a photo value pack (cartridges plus photo paper) you were looking for? What part no.?

Thanks, Ciara

HP Recommended

Good Luck contacting customer service. He keeps telling me how to install the cartridges and has no idea what I'm talking about. HP has changed the packaging on the 564  photo black cartridge but now that they have sold a lot of throw away cartridges they won't issue a credit. The phone rep said ' sorry your printer is out of warranty so I can;t do anything about the cartridges'. Also when I asked to speak with a supervisor I was told that he wasn't available. A waste of 30 minutes.

First there was the law suit about the improper notification that the ink cartridge was empty when it was not. Now the deliberate mislabeling of the photo black to black on the 564. How about HP earning its money without screwing its customers?

I will never purchase another HP product!

HP Recommended

I agree with post about throwing the printer off of the roof. The frustration and time wasted over returning 2 cartridges towards credit is unbelievable. When I get a message that one of the cartridges is empty I will gladly take a hammer to this printer and buy any thing but an HP.

HP Recommended

@blair84 wrote:

Good Luck contacting customer service. He keeps telling me how to install the cartridges and has no idea what I'm talking about. HP has changed the packaging on the 564  photo black cartridge but now that they have sold a lot of throw away cartridges they won't issue a credit. The phone rep said ' sorry your printer is out of warranty so I can;t do anything about the cartridges'. Also when I asked to speak with a supervisor I was told that he wasn't available. A waste of 30 minutes.

Hi blair84, I'd like to help follow up if I can.

I'm going to private message you on this topic.

Ciara

HP Recommended

What Type and Model of ink is used in regular (not photo) HP 654 cartridges - separately for Black and Color ink? What company manufactures that ink for HP?

For Black ink - is that Pigment Ink brand B209A or similar? 

For Color Ink - Die ink of what model number (not cartridge model)? 

HP Recommended

Hi zamar21, see below for a link to the MSDS's for the inks..

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizenship/environment/productdata/ijmsdsuseng.html

Ciara

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.