Why are there two black ink cartridges in the Photosmart 310? (801 Views)
Student
flyhuey
Message 1 of 2 (801 Views)

Why are there two black ink cartridges in the Photosmart 310?

The smaller of the two (With the hourglass symbol) is the one that is apparently used for printing and I am not sure what the larger of the two (with a pentagram symbol) is used for.  I am replacing the smaller of the two for the second time and the larger one is still full.  Why will the system not select the black ink cartridge that has ink instead of always using the same one?  Is there a way to get the system to select the larger of the two cartridges?  I am tired of replacing one small ink cartridge when there is a full cartridge a few inches to the right!

PhD Student
bassergitz
Message 2 of 2 (784 Views)

Re: Why are there two black ink cartridges in the Photosmart 310?

The smaller black is used for normal texts , while the bigger one is used for high quality graphics or photos.

I believe you use the printer for printing documents only thats why the bigger black is still full.

Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name : )
If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly : )
Happy Troubleshooting : )
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation