Question

Tutor
ChasDrown
Message 1 of 12 (14,746 Views)
Accepted Solution

Why does my HP laserjet 1022 produce a black line down the right hand side of page?

Why does my HP laserjet 1022 produce a black line down the right hand side of page? This happens using Word 2003, Photoshop, Acrobat etc. I do not get this with my Epson printer. My printer drivers are all up to date. Os = Windows 7.

Grad Student
dqmcg
Message 2 of 12 (14,725 Views)

Re: Why does my HP laserjet 1022 produce a black line down the right hand side of page?

You will usually see problems like this when the toner cartridge transfer roller is either not being cleaned properly or the roller is scratched.

You might try removing the toner cartridge from the printer (turn the power off first!!!) slide the cover open and see if the roller is scratched or you can see a line of toner still on the roller. If the roller looks fine then shake the roller a couple time and insert back into the printer.

You can also check the paper feed path to make sure there is not any deposits of toner causing you this problem.

I've attached a link to a HP document that may help you as well...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00599286&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc...

Dave M.
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.
I am an HP employee.
Tutor
ChasDrown
Message 3 of 12 (14,719 Views)

Re: Why does my HP laserjet 1022 produce a black line down the right hand side of page?

Many thanks dqmcg for fast responce, unfortunately however, my line is printed and not due to toner or mechanical damage.

The line is about 0.5mm wide and its length corresponds to the length of a paragraph or image size, i.e. where there is a space between paragraphs and images there is no line, where the image/paragraph fills the page the line is continuous.

I feel that this is either a software or firmware problem, or could be due to some printer command that I have left out during

set-up or preference (possibly hidden).

Grad Student
dqmcg
Message 4 of 12 (14,714 Views)

Can you paste a screen shot for me, so I can get a better idea of what you are seeing? Do you get the same result if you scan to PC?

Dave M.
I am an HP employee.
Tutor
ChasDrown
Message 5 of 12 (14,706 Views)

Dear dqmcg,

Can't produce screen dump as it does not appear in print preview etc. Have scanned a printed file - see below.

Example-1.jpg

PS -  the black lines do not usually appear when printing from email or web pages.

Grad Student
dqmcg
Message 6 of 12 (14,704 Views)

Below is a link to a Firmaware updaet for this printer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00386985&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

I noticed that your operating system is windows 7, is it 32bit or 64bit?

Is the windows 7 an upgrade from a different OS? If so, what were you using before?

When did this problem first appear?

Have you made any adjustments to margins or other settings?

Have you tried using the PCL and/or Postscript driver?

Dave M.
I am an HP employee.
Tutor
ChasDrown
Message 7 of 12 (14,699 Views)

Operating system is Windows 7 ultimate V6.01(build7601: service pack 1). It was a clean install on new machine about 18 months ago, with regular updates. This problem started about 3 months or so ago(? after SP1 was installed?). I am also using Windows XP sp3 on another machine with no print problems. (this suggests I now realise, that it could be a Windows 7 problem! and that the firmware is OK).

I have tried all manner of adjustments to page set up and other properties with no results.

I have not tried PCL or Postscript drivers as there don't seem to be any for my machine on HP web site, only a Hostbased Plug and Play Basic Driver  program. I have downloaded this file (lj1020-1022-HB-pnp-win64-en.exe) and will try ripping out the printer etc and doing a clean install in case the driver has been damaged. Windows will only update the driver to its own version, whatever that is.

Grad Student
dqmcg
Message 8 of 12 (14,698 Views)

I think you headed in the right direction with it being an OS issue here. I might recommend you also check the Microsoft web site to see if there are any patches available or think about moving up or down from SP1.

Dave M.
I am an HP employee.
Grad Student
dqmcg
Message 9 of 12 (14,697 Views)

You might also want to check the programs that you are having issues with to see if they have any Windows 7 updates that might be needed.

Dave M.
I am an HP employee.
Tutor
ChasDrown
Message 10 of 12 (14,690 Views)

Hello dqmcg,

Have checked programs and OS - seemed to be OK, so did a clean install of printer. I now appears to work OK - ie files that previously printed with lines now don't (Only checked a few though).

I think that I was naive in beliving Windows when it said the printer and driver were OK, and when I did a driver re-instal, Windows just used the file I already had. Also the "Print test page" from Printer Properties was always OK. Must have been very minor damage to the driver that only showed up with certain file types from a few (different) programs.

Many thanks for getting my brain to work and start to think it through logically.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation