Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
So, an update... The printer has been resetting again. Moving the power cable to the wall, as expected, had no effect.

As to disabling UPnP on the router... This is not a solution to the problem, as I do not want to have to manually set up other devices on my network for NAT. Is there a way to disable uPnP on the printer itself?

I know that there's an embedded linux inside this printer... Is there a way to telnet/ssh to it, to see the syslog?
HP Recommended

Hi ptoal,

There should be no effect to the other devices connected to your network if you disable the UPnP on the router, and it should not interfere with your NAT - Network address translation settings. I am attempting to see if you disable the UPnP on the router if you still experience the same issues with the printer.

If you prefer you can disable UPnP from the EWS - Embedded Web Server of the printer. Follow the steps below to access the EWS of the printer.

1. Typing the printers assigned IP address into the address bar of Internet Explorer.

2. Network Tab

3. Networking option on the left

4. UPnP option on the left

5. Select the 'Disable UPnP' radio button

6. Click 'Apply'

Please let me know which method you chose to disable the UPnP setting, and if this appears to have resolved the issue?

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended
I have disabled UPnP in the printer. I will keep an ear out for it's auto-reset and report back. It usually happens several times a day, so if I don't notice it for a couple of days, I'll have fairly good confidence that this has fixed it.

To HP: If you know that there's a problem with UPnP causing the printer to restart, why don't you fix it? If you need debugging information, I would be happy to help collect it. It appears, from the other post, that this problem used to result in the printer 'crashing' with an error. The "fix" was to cause the printer to restart instead. While this may make sense in an office environment, this printer doesn't start up quietly, so it's not a really good fix for this problem. Also, when the printer resets, it does a head-check, which I expect uses up some ink. This is not ideal.
HP Recommended

YOU DID IT!!!! Thanks so much. Turning off Universal Plug and Play on the printer definitely fixed the problem. I couldn't go more than 45 minutes without a "reboot/crash/network drop" - whatever was happening. I have now gone over 3 hours. Definitely fixed. SO....

Everybody - turn off your UPnP (under Networking on the Network tab of the printer web page).

HP - fix the real problem - this is just a work around!

Thanks everybody for pursuing this for so long! I get to sleep through the night tonight!

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone,

I am glad to hear this has resolved the issue you were having. Can you please provide me some additional information below.

What devices do you have connected to your network?

What is the make and model of your router or access points?

What is the current FW version on the router or access points?

What is the current FW version on the printer?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
My network is not trivial. I have one Linksys EA6500 as my router. I also have one WRT310n and one WRT610 acting as AP's. My home network has over a dozen devices connected to it, including WD MyBook Live HDD's, Mac's, PC's, and CentOS Linux servers.

If I get time, I might hook up one of my machines to watch the WLAN in promiscuous mode, while checking to see if the printer responds to pings. If the printer stops responding, I'll save the last 15 minutes of packets, and see if there are any UPnP packets that I can send you.

(Yes. I know that I am a geek)
HP Recommended
Well, I re-enabled UPnP in the printer, and it didn't take very long at all before it restarted. Unfortunately, nothing conclusive showed up in my "quick" capture of broadcast traffic on my LAN. I did see SSDP broadcasts from many devices in my network, including my Win7 machine, my WD MyBook live's, my EA6500 and my WRT610n.

It may be a unicast packet that is triggering the reset, though, in which case I would have to set up wireshark on a device with a wifi interface connected to the same AP. I don't have time for that right now, but I might give it a try another day.
HP Recommended

Hi ptoal,

Thank you for the additional information. I appreciate any info you can supply me to assist me with investigating this issue, and help get it addressed.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi ptoal,

I'm very interested to learn if you have any DLNA enabled devices on your network; things like TV's, Playstation, etc.?

I would like to capture your WireShark data to help identify where the issue is happening?

Any additional information you can provide will assist me with getting this issue isolated and working on getting a fix in place.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
Yes, I definitely have DLNA devices. I have an LG blu-ray player, an AppleTV, and a PC running SageTV. Probably more stuff, too, but I can't think of what off-hand. We don't have a PS3, or XBox.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.