Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Operating system is windows 7 . Am not aware of any system changes that would have affected this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HI,

OK. 

@Ronniej56 wrote:

Almost every time I connect the printer the computer cannot find it on the old IP address. I then have to go through the procedure of updating the IP address. It's relatively simple to do but its a pain and I don't think it should be happening.

Read this HP document and look at step five. Follow the procedure for setting a static IPv4 address. Post your results here.

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

If your printer is set to use DHCP rather than a static address then the address will change whenever the (DHCP server) router or modem it is connected to tells it to. That is how dynamic host control protocol works. The DHCP server is responsible for dynamically assigning IP addresses to all of its client PCs and network aware devices from a pool of adresses within the available subnet. (i.e. 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.999)

Give your printer a static address within your home network's subnet.

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

This answer sounds good, but I am computer illiterate. How do I accomplish the task suggested.

HP Recommended

HI,

@Ronniej56 wrote:

This answer sounds good, but I am computer illiterate. How do I accomplish the task suggested.

Is the dynamic IP adress changing an actual issue or are you just curious?

I ask that because this is a relatively advanced topic. You haven't told me what kind of device provides the IP address to your printer. Do you know how to access the device that is acting as you DHCP server through its web interface? Are you familiar with its menu?

If it is not an actual issue and your printer is working fine, then consider leaving it the way it is. Otherwise you will have to learn a DOS networking command or two and access a web GUI or two.

I will be signing off shortly and will read your response later.

Best regards,

erico

HP Recommended

Almost every time I connect the printer the computer cannot find it on the old IP address. I then have to go through the procedure of updating the IP address. It's relatively simple to do but its a pain and I don't think it should be happening.

HP Recommended

HI,

OK. 

@Ronniej56 wrote:

Read this HP document and look at step five. Follow the procedure for setting a static IPv4 address. Post your results here.

Best regards,

erico

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot . This seems to have resolved the problem.

HP Recommended

It sounds as if I have the same, or at least a similar, problem. Unlike the original poster I am quite computer literate and could easily set a static IP for the printer.

I decline to do so.

I have installed many HP wireless printers and this is the first and so far the only one that behaves this way. The behavior is NOT correct and to my eyes constitutes a serious bug. It should connect via DHCP and STAY connected via DHCP like all other devices on the network. The fact that it does not do so means the PRINTER is not doing what it is supposed to do.

If I cannot find a solution short of assigning static IP addresses it will be returned to its point of sale as "broken".

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.