Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@ENewton wrote:

The same thing just happened to me & I found the problem within a couple minutes by exploring.  I'm using Windows 7.

1. Go to the 'Start' menu
  2. Select 'Devices and Printers'
  3. Double Click on your printer
  4. Click the link on the top right that says 'Printer: Offline'
  5. Click on 'Printer' at the top left
  6. Go down and uncheck 'use printer offline'
  7. PRINT

This worked for me.. I thought I was gonna have to do a system restore or something more complicated if that didn't work... definitely don't wanna buy another printer over a technical glitch! Hope this solves your problem!

Hi,

This "use printer offline"  setting was the most obvious solution and was the first thing I looked at, but, surprisingly (with much frustration), this setting had no effect!

I found this other solution that worked for me- from another HP support forum. I'll try to paste it in here, and, here's the URL:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/ePrint-Print-Apps-Mobile-Printing-and-ePrintCenter/my-wireless-printer-...

(posted by tjsingh: thankyou: you saved me from alot of head banging!):

o work around this problem, disable SNMP on the printer port. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Printers and Faxes.
  2. Right-click the printer, and then click Properties.
  3. Click the Ports tab.
  4. Click Configure Port.
  5. Click to clear the SNMP Status Enabled check box, click OK, and then click Close.

I've never had to deal with this setting before, but, as soon as I unchecked it my printer went ONLINE! 

My guess is that it was set by default when I re-installed my printer last night. But it didn't cause my printer to go offline until I rescycled the power on both the printer and my PC (win7, BTW) overnight.

I don't know what this setting is for but I'm going to go learn about it now.

I hope this helps others,

Jim

HP Recommended

When I double click on the printer, number 3, I do not get any link.  My rinter says it is ready and I can print from my iphone, its a wireless 6510 but I cannot print from either of my computers on this printer.  I hav a HP laser b & w but need color so have the 6510.  I get the message on my laptop that the rinter is offline.  I knnowthe printerccan wwork.  Wht can I do?

HP Recommended

You already lost me on the first step! Can't find printer and faxes!!!! I am not computer savy, that is for sure!

HP Recommended

@edowns wrote:

I have trouble getting my printer to print from my laptop it says printer offline but it is not checked How can I get it online and stay there

HP Recommended

clicking on this page leads to "page not found"

unhelpful

HP Recommended

this doesn't solve the problem, unhelpful

HP Recommended

I am getting extremely frustrated as my printer keeps going back to 'offline', over and over again.The only thing I have found that works is reinstalling it, which I have done over 10 times now, I've learned to schedule an extra hour everytime I want to print to go through everything.

Why can it not simply stay working rather than constantly doing this?

HP Deskjet All in One 3520

Windows 7

HP Recommended

hi, there's an answer in here on this but it doesnt work or me. maybe it is for an earlier version of windows, this laprtop is only about  year old...so...thinking..windows  It says go to start, find devices and pronters, locate the printer that is supposedly offsline but acually not, and double click printer, then other instructions. My start menu does not list printer.

It lists settings.

In settig there is devices.

In devices there is printers and scanners. 

Printers listed there  includie the one designated "last used"  which i asume is the relevant one.  I only have one printer but the laptop appears to list several including  an old one, and all of them  have the usual meaningless acronyms.

Clicking on the printer in that list (or any of the others) only gives me a pop up that offers two choices. either set as default, or delete.

I dont want either of those things.

i just want the laptop to recognise that the printer IS online, and send stuff to to it.

My wife's apple laptop prints to it fine, so the problem is the hp, not the prointer i think. hope you can help i have files staned

MalM1

HP Recommended

@kkcb9395 wrote:

Hi - Try following the steps in this document, which should resolve the issue.

Hope that helps.

is there a new loink, this is now a page not found

malM1

HP Recommended

@edowns wrote:

I have trouble getting my printer to print from my laptop it says printer offline but it is not checked How can I get it online and stay there

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.