Question

Intern
doodlebug1952
Message 1 of 173 (144,373 Views)
Accepted Solution

Why does my printer say its OFF LINE??

Confused about why a screen pops up when I try to print, saying my printer is OFF LINE. What makes it offline when it's clearly on??

Teacher
Double-U-Dee
Message 2 of 173 (144,366 Views)

Re: Why does my printer say its OFF LINE??

Hello,

This can happen for many reasons, to most say why it happens in your situation some information is needed. 

A. What printer model?

B. What type of connection?

C. Which OS (Operating System)?

The Printer can be turned on, but it does not mean that you are connected to the PC.  If this is a wireless connection to a router, the IP address could have changed, a wireless communication may be the issue.  If you go to the printer in the printer queue, are you able to click the "Offline" and make it "On Line" again?

Thank you,

Thanks,
Double-U-Dee
dsbmlnj
Message 3 of 173 (144,351 Views)

My Photosmart Premium All-in-one fax printer goes offline every time my laptop hybernates.  When I take it out of hybernation and try to print, I can only do so by restarting my computer to get the printer online again.  (I have succeeded in getting the printer online, but it will only print if the computer is restarted.)  It has a wireless connection.  How can I keep the printer online when my laptop hybernates?

Intern
doodlebug1952
Message 4 of 173 (144,348 Views)

Forgive me for not giving enough info.

My printer is an HP c309g-m.

The connection is Sprint via a card inserted into the side of the computer.

I use XP.

The printer is connected via a cord to the back of the laptop and another into the wall. They light is on the box on the cord to the wall. The other cord if firmly attached, I have turned the computer on and off; the printer on and off.

Thanks for any help to this new OFF LINE problem when I try to print.

Double-U-Dee wrote:

Hello,

This can happen for many reasons, to most say why it happens in your situation some information is needed. 

A. What printer model?

B. What type of connection?

C. Which OS (Operating System)?

The Printer can be turned on, but it does not mean that you are connected to the PC.  If this is a wireless connection to a router, the IP address could have changed, a wireless communication may be the issue.  If you go to the printer in the printer queue, are you able to click the "Offline" and make it "On Line" again?

Thank you,

I should say that I disconnected this new, two-month old computer one day, drove 7 hours away, reconnected, and then I get this box that says PRINTER IS OFFLINE and it won't print. I tried unchecking "print offline", but I then just get an error when I try to print.

Teacher
Double-U-Dee
Message 5 of 173 (144,345 Views)

Ok, this does sound more like a lost connection issue.  If you are having the problem after being setup in a different location, this may be due to the connection to a "router".  Unless you have a "USB" cable between the printer and the laptop.  I am sorry but I was unable to tell how your laptop was connected to the printer by your answer.  The cable that you have to the wall would be your power adapter, so I would be guessing that you have a wireless setup.  You may have to reinstall if you are in a new location and not connected to the same network that you were during your initial install.

Did you run the wireless setup wizard on the printer front panel in the new location?

Thank you,

Thanks,
Double-U-Dee
Double-U-Dee
Message 6 of 173 (144,342 Views)

Hello dsbmlnj,

Would you mind trying the following?

Wake the laptop up from hybernation, then swipe the front panel on the printer to wake it from power save mode, after a moment then check to see if the printer is online on the laptop, if not, change it to "on line" from the print queue.  It sounds like a power management issue, where the computer is not waking the printer up.

Please post your results.

Thank you,

Thanks,
Double-U-Dee
dsbmlnj
Message 7 of 173 (144,337 Views)

The problem was solved by turning the Power Saving mode to OFF.  Thanks for your help.

Intern
doodlebug1952
Message 8 of 173 (144,331 Views)

OK, I'm back. I'll follow the latest instructions and will come back.

doodlebug

Intern
doodlebug1952
Message 9 of 173 (144,317 Views)

Double-U-Dee wrote:

Ok, this does sound more like a lost connection issue.  If you are having the problem after being setup in a different location, this may be due to the connection to a "router".  Unless you have a "USB" cable between the printer and the laptop.  I am sorry but I was unable to tell how your laptop was connected to the printer by your answer.  The cable that you have to the wall would be your power adapter, so I would be guessing that you have a wireless setup.  You may have to reinstall if you are in a new location and not connected to the same network that you were during your initial install.

Did you run the wireless setup wizard on the printer front panel in the new location?

Thank you,

Double-U-Dee, I have a cable that runs from the printer to a USB port in my printer---the same cable I was using the day before, and the same I unplugged to bring it and my computer here. I used Sprint there, and Sprint here.

I've done all this, to no avail: 1) uninstalled the driver. Reinstalled it  2) Turned off printer; turned it back on. 3) Turned off computer, turned it back on--several times. 4) Unchecked Print Offline, rechecked Print Offline.

Just now, I tried once again after reinstalling the driver. I NO MORE get the PRINTER IS OFFLINE box. I now get NOTHING and the job just sits in the queue. I have turned the spooler on..and off...nothing.

Help.

Intern
doodlebug1952
Message 10 of 173 (144,306 Views)

I also need to state that I have discovered that I CAN print directly from the touch screen of my computer, yet I cannot print from my laptop. No more OFF LINE box, and now a box that says Document cannot print. I am using the same USB cable I've always used!

WHAT is going on?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation