Why does my printer say its OFF LINE?? (130782 Views)
Honor Student
ashtreex
Message 31 of 173 (9,011 Views)

Re: Why does my printer say its OFF LINE??

I previously had a LaserJet 1020 (with a Mac). It was great, it had none of these "printer offline" problems. Then I upgraded my Mac OS to 10.6 and HP no longer supplied a driver for it. Now I have a P1006 and I get these "printer offline" problems all the time - plus if one forgets to switch it on before printing, or the paper runs out, there is no button to press to tell it to just carry on. No option but to delete the print queue and restart the printer - several times.

All this correspondence just transfers the problems to the user - I think it's HP that needs to sort out the software and hardware problems.

Student
arlenemiller
Message 32 of 173 (8,980 Views)

I have a macbook and all of a sudden my HP PhotoSmart C4680 went offline

Student
mygrandma9
Message 33 of 173 (8,957 Views)

Hi, Hope you can help me figure this out. I have been printing last night and this afternoon.  It just stopped printing and these numbers came up: 881723A2 and a picture of the power button and the screen is a light green.

Student
tmulling
Message 34 of 173 (8,879 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am so very frustrated with my wireless printing... Had this same problem on the last HP printer....

No ip address has changed, nothing has changed.... Can be printing just fine and then next thing I know it doesn't print...

I've moved everything from around it... made sure cell phone isn't by it... And, I sure don't have time to be put on hold forever and then given to someone who isn't from America that I can't understand which frustrates me even more....

If you can't figure out what's going on, this will definitely be my last HP printer... Oh, I also have 2 HP notebooks... So, it's can't be a problem with another manufacturers laptop.... I have windows 7..

Teresa Mulling

[text removed for privacy]

Honor Student
leeky_bee
Message 35 of 173 (8,822 Views)

I have a similar problem with my new C309g-m printer.  It goes off line and printing gets stuck in the queue.  Sometimes the printer doesn't have network signal, but more often than not it does but still won't print.  Keep pressing the  printer > use printer offline (around 3 times usually)    the check mark eventually disappears and the printing resumes.  HOWEVER, apart from this being really ANNOYING, only the admin user can get the printer back online, so when the problem stikes and my daughter is using the computer we have to switch user to reset it.  EVEN MORE BIZARRE - any error from the printer (e.g. paper out, or feed paper back for double sided printing)  isn't fed back to the user who initiates the printing, but to the admin , so the user is left scratching their head about why the printer isn't printing!!  

The HP SOLUTION CENTER menu sometimes says the printer is disconnected even when it isn't - this can be at times when the printer SUCCESSFULLY prints, so may be completely unassociated with the offline problem. 

I followed the instructions to the letter when installing.  I don't know how to set up a static IP for the printer on my router (a ZOOM) as suggested in some posts, so may have to research this.  My laptop is an HP Pavilion.  OS is XP.

I'm going to try some of the earlier suggestions and will post back if I find a solution to my particular problem.  I really expected better from HP.

Student
robbieS99
Message 36 of 173 (8,725 Views)

Thank you Double-U-Dee. I followed your instructions and the problem was solved - first try too. As a novice computer user this has saved me from asking my long-suffering brother for help. Once again, thank you.

Student
moon122
Message 37 of 173 (8,666 Views)

My printer says it is off line but I can print but cannot scan

Student
bbates
Message 38 of 173 (8,547 Views)

My printer used to work fine.  It is a wireless.  All of a sudden it does not work now.  It will not let me turn it from off line to on line.

Honor Student
echologic
Message 39 of 173 (8,462 Views)

My printer (C5180) won't start up all the way or print. It hiccups like it is going to come on, but stalls, the screen shows only shades of grey, no colour, then the exclamation button flashes on, the green light goes off... then this entire series repeats over and over and over again (now for 2 hours).

I can't get it to turn off and it won't print, or turn fully on.

I have restarted computer. I have unplugged usb and power bar. But it won't stay off once cords are plugged back in.

The only reason I knew it was offline, was the dialogue box in control panel. I have turned it online, but it the printer won't turn on all the way.

I will try to follow those 8 steps, and reinstall program, but mine seems a different problem.

Student
larlansford
Message 40 of 173 (7,503 Views)

Printer is L7650.  It is connected to a wireless router.  OS for computers is Windows 7 and Vista.  Printer goes off line for no apparent reason, and will not come back on line.  I have reloaded driver a couple of times to solve problem, but fix does not last.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation