Question

Tutor
JohnWayne79
Message 1 of 18 (9,015 Views)
Accepted Solution

Why is DOT4 Scrubber hanging when I try to install updates?

After HP Update notified me of 3 pending updates (including a Critical update to correct a PC to printer communications issue) I launched the update. The first of the 3 updates installed successfully, but the second (Critical) update froze in the middle of DOT4 Scrubber processing. I was able to terminate the second update, allowing the third one to install successfully. Shutting down my Zonealarm firewall had no effect on the problem.  I manually downloaded the update (using the link provided) and launched it from my hard drive, but it still won't run to completion. This is apparently a widespread problem, from the comments I've read. Is there a solution? And if so, what is it?

Top Student
JIllgen
Message 2 of 18 (8,990 Views)

Re: Why is DOT4 Scrubber hanging when I try to install updates?

I'm having exaclty the same problem.  How do you fix this?

Honor Student
vfymky
Message 3 of 18 (8,978 Views)

Try this:

1) Right click on my computer.

2) Select "manage"

3) Select "Services & apps" (click on + sign to expand and then select services

4) A list of services appears. Scroll down to "print spooler' and select it.

5) Select "start"

I did the above and all my printers showed up again.

Tutor
JohnWayne79
Message 4 of 18 (8,974 Views)

My problem is not with the print spooler, although once DOT4 Scrubber hangs my installed printers disappear (I can reboot and bring them back).  My problem is with not being able to run the install of an update labeled "Critical" to completion.  That's the solution I'm asking for. Thanks.

Top Student
JIllgen
Message 5 of 18 (8,963 Views)

Same for me.  I can get the printer reinstalled after the Dot4 Scrubber failure.  But with out it, I can't scan.  I can print, but not scan.

Honor Student
pbebber
Message 6 of 18 (8,782 Views)

Thank you.  This worked for me too.

Student
wgstahl
Message 7 of 18 (8,734 Views)

I can totally relate to your situation, and can understand the import of your description. I don't know why so many are continuing to dwell on the fact that the upgrade failure causes the print service to be stopped, and methods to 'restore' printer function. A simple reboot takes care of that.

The problem of why the critical update is failing to run to completion remains. And the much more serious problem is the fact that even though complaings of this problem can be seen dating back for some time, I can find no solution offered by HP; not even a suggestion of things to try that might solve the problem. Then, upon visiting the HP support web site, and finding that there are no options to communicate directly with the company, unless you are fortunate enough to have a product that is in warranty, or by paying a support fee, it is exasparating!!

SHAME on HP for deploying a half-baked 'critical' update that is causing problems for so many users, and then completely dropping the ball. This will certainly stick in my mind if and when I should have occasion to shop for another printer product in the future!!!

Top Student
JIllgen
Message 8 of 18 (8,692 Views)

Makes you wonder if the "Critical Update" is sent to deliberately mess up your printer, to make you buy a new one.  The next one I buy won't be an HP.

Tutor
JohnWayne79
Message 9 of 18 (8,652 Views)

I certainly concur with your comments!  I recently noticed HP's intention to divest themselves of their PC enterprise... so apparently things are only going to get worse for us (up to now) loyal HP printer customers...

Student
mstickler1
Message 10 of 18 (8,359 Views)

Would like to see something from HP on this. In the meantime I am uninstalling HPUpdate.

Note you do not have to restart windows to get your printers back.

Right click on your desktop and choose NEW and TEXT FILE

Open it and paste in

net stop spooler
net start spooler

Close it and save. Once back on the desktop rename the file "Reset Printers.bat" when it asks about changing the extension say ok.

Now when your printers disappear (the print spooler stops) you can double click on this icon to get them back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation