Question

Tutor
Mouthpiece
Message 1 of 18 (19,976 Views)
Accepted Solution

Will an HP Laser Jet 1100 Work on a Windows 7 machine

I have an HP Laser Jet 1100 printer with only a parallel output connector. I also now have a new HP Windows 7 machine. I can buy an adaptor that changes from parallel connector to USB. HOWEVER my friendly computer salesman tells me there is no way that printer can work with my new computer.

Does anyone have experience to prove or disprove that I can make my new computer work with my old printer?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 18 (19,970 Views)

Re: Will an HP Laser Jet 1100 Work on a Windows 7 machine

This page and this page say the Laserjet 1100 will work on Windows 7.  Make sure the USB-parallel converter works with Windows 7.  I have heard good reports using the Belkin converter with other printer models.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
Mouthpiece
Message 3 of 18 (19,897 Views)

Not only will it. It does. I just received a db25 female to USB cable which I bought from Tiger Direct, one of many companies offering such a cable. I had previously downloaded the driver following the first link in the original message of this thread. So when the new cable arrived I just unplugged the cable running from the printer to the old PC at the PC end and connected the new cable to that end and to a USB port on my new Windows 7 machine. The found new box popped up and in a few seconds I had printed my first document.

Just one word of caution. The Laserjet 1100 uses what is called a mini Centronics connector. Thus a regular Centronics to USB cable will not work. This is why I had to use the kludge described above. Another company sells a mini Centronics to Centronics adaptor and a 5' Centronics to USB cable combination and I am sure that would have worked as well but I needed 6' not 5' for my cable so now I have 12'. To find that source Google "mini Centronics to Centronics adaptor"

Honor Student
hpg85_1100
Message 4 of 18 (19,774 Views)

Hi, I have almost a similar situation: I have a laserjet 1100 but my laptop has Window Vista.  I use the DB25 female to USB connector to connect the printer to my laptop USB port but it does not work at all.  What is the difference between this type of connector and the centronic to mini-centronic connector?  I also have a g85 office jet, and I had used this DB25 connector to connect to the g85 officejet to print from this same laptop, and at first, it worked wonderfully.  Then, it started downloading another driver on my laptop, and it worked alternately between the 2 drivers (one original and the second copy), then it stopped working altogether after a while.   If you could help me, I would appreciate very much, bec. I read other people having same issue like me, when connecting OLD HP printers to their NEW laptops which only have USB.  THANK YOU in advance!!!  ML

Honor Student
hpg85_1100
Message 5 of 18 (19,767 Views)

I am desperate -- would you please address this same issue with window VISta? I wrote in a couple of questions but have received no help yet, I am so desperate bec. I have 2 HP printers and none is working with my laptop, it they work ok with old desktop (window 2000...)  Thank you in advance!!!

Tutor
Mouthpiece
Message 6 of 18 (19,755 Views)

I am not sure I can be of any help with your ultimate problem--getting the LaserJet 1100 to work on your Vista machine.

But I can offer some history to sort out the cable situation. Way back when there was a company by the name of Centronics which made printers. They had both a connector type and and a standard. In the day the Centronics cable would plug into the printer at one end. When IBM came out with the first PC they had a 25 pin parallel connector (DB25) to which the other end of the Centronics cable would connect. The Centronics standard was the way communication between the PC and printer occurred. Remember this was back in the DOS days way before Windows anything.

Centronics is long out of business  But a lot of older printers still around use that Centronics cable. For some reason HP in the Laser Jet 1100 and I am sure other printers started to use a mini centronics connector. They provided a cable to connect to to the PC.  Unfortunately to my knowledge no one makes a mini Centronics to USB cable. Thus somehow you have to get first from the mini Centronics to a real Centronics connector then from the Centronics connector to the USB at the other end. I chose to just keep my HP cable that ended in a DB25 connector then buy a DB25 to USB cable. Many companies sell such a cable and the only downside is I now have 12' of total cable. The other choice is to get a mini Centronics to Centronics adaptor--no cable just mini Centronics at one end to plug into the Laser Jet and Centronics at the other end. To that a Centronics to USB cable is attached. Electrically and mechanically these 2 methods are identical in result.

Now to your particular problem. It seems to me there is one or more of 3 most likely things wrong. Your printer may have died. Connect it to your old set up to prove or disprove that. The cables may be defective even if they were originally not defective. You could perhaps find a friend who has a Windows XP machine. Finally and most probably you do not have a Vista driver installed or in the case of your G85 it has become corrupt.  I followed the lead in an above post in this thread to find a Windows 7 driver. Try going on the HP Website under printer support to see if you can find a Vista driver. I hope this very long post helps.

Honor Student
hpg85_1100
Message 7 of 18 (19,724 Views)

Dear Mouthpiece:

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your very thorough and educational reply and great help getting me a little further in solving the "mystery"! I already know one step: that is both printers are working when connecting to an old desktop, so the next step for me to do is to test the db25 to usb cable (which could become faulty as you said) and if that is not the case, then the last thing but may be most probably for me to do is to get a Vista driver as you said.  Your answer again is very thorough and clear, to understand the problem is making me feel a lot better.  I thank you so much again, and I will post an update afterwards.  Thank you!!!

Student
RShelvy
Message 8 of 18 (19,537 Views)

I have the exact same issue that you had. I am confused as to what cable to buy to work with my new win7 computer, Can you specify what the model number is of the cable you bought from Tiger Direct? Sorry I'm not that well versed in this area.

Tutor
Mouthpiece
Message 9 of 18 (19,532 Views)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1699044&SRCCODE=WEBLET101...

In case the above does not work

Sabrent 6-Foot USB to DB25 Female Parallel Converter Adapter Printer Cable

Model:USB-DB25F

bought from Tiger Direct

Student
jwhite453
Message 10 of 18 (18,069 Views)

Mouthpiece,  Refering to the link to obtain the driver for windows 7 and the laserjet 1100 now only refers to windows 7 will automatically find the driver.  It doesn't.  I purchased a pci parallel card 32-bit single port.  windows recognizes that the laserjet is present and displays it, but it will not print.  Gives an error.  Any new suggestions.  The laserjet is a good machine and works well for what I need.  Don't really want to purchase a new printer. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation