Question

Top Student
eelpm333
Message 1 of 32 (66,520 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows 7 and HP LaserJet 4 Plus

I have a new laptop with windows 7 and an old (but very reliable) LaserJet 4 Plus printer.  I was able to download print drivers from the HP site but it still will not print.  I don't get any error messages, just nothing happens when I try to print a document or test page.  Do I need to change something else in my settings?

Top Student
hpass1492
Message 2 of 32 (66,416 Views)

Re: Windows 7 and HP LaserJet 4 Plus

I am having the same problem.  Did you ever figure it out?

Honor Student
Nilse
Message 3 of 32 (65,613 Views)

I am new to this forum.  Were you ever able to get your laserjet 4 plus to print with Windows 7?   I desperately need help with this situation.  Thanks.

Honor Student
mikkijc
Message 4 of 32 (65,358 Views)

I need help with this too.  I have a HP LaserJet 4 and had it working with Windows Vista.  I ungraded to Win 7, installed the HP LaserJet 4 print driver and get an print-error message.  This is a great printer and frustrating it is so hard to set up with Windows. 

Student
Vett
Message 5 of 32 (65,109 Views)

I have a new Acer laptop with Windows 7 64bit.  I cannot get my HP LaserJet 4m Plus to print.  Can any one help?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 32 (65,092 Views)

[ Edited ]

There are two main areas for issues installing a Laserjet 4 in Windows 7:

• Ports.  The Laserjet 4 and its derivatives had a standard parallel port but most Windows 7 machines no longer have a parallel port.  The most common solution is a USB-parallel converter cable.  This can be problematic because many of the converter cables do not support Windows 7.  [Edit - the posts flagged here have models of converter cables users in the forum has reported as working in Windows 7.] Additionally, most of the cables have no documentation (or even a brand name) making it difficult to resolve issues.  The converter may provide a simulated parallel port such as LPT3: or it may be a port like USB001:.  Another option with the Laserjet 4 would be to add a JetDirect card which would provide a network port for the Laserjet 4.  This will require the Laserjet to be connected to a router and would provide network access to multiple computers if you wish.  A typical JetDirect card for the Laserjet 4 is shown here.
  • Drivers.  The drivers for the Laserjet 4 (and 4M and other derivatives) are delivered through Windows Update.  If Windows Update is enabled (as described in step method 2 here under the section to "Configure Windows Update to"...) you may be able to just connect the USB cable and have the driver properly install.  If not do the following:  click on the Start Orb, Devices and Printers, Add a Printer, then select the appropriate port.  When the list of printers comes up click on Windows Update.  It will take several minutes for the list to repopulate, once this is complete the Laserjet 4 series printers will be available under HP (not Hewlett-Packard).

laserjet 4.png

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
SD-69
Message 7 of 32 (56,729 Views)

Search HP site for:

HP Universal Printing PCL 5

Manually install driver DON'T let plug and pray handle it

Running Win 7 Enterprise and don't have a problem printing !

Student
backpack
Message 8 of 32 (56,289 Views)

Finally got the Laserjet 4 Plus up and running! Thanks!!!

Top Student
hpkanuser
Message 9 of 32 (56,175 Views)

What brand and item # if available of a 36 pin parallel to usb cable has anyone used sucessfully with an older HP Laser Jet 4 plus.  Thanks!

Top Student
hpkanuser
Message 10 of 32 (56,172 Views)

What brand and item number cable did you use? Thanks.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation