Question
Windows 7 and HP LaserJet 4 Plus
Replies (31)

Top Student
hpkanuser
Message 11 of 32 (17,081 Views)

Re: Windows 7 and HP LaserJet 4 Plus

Finally my old faithful HP 4 Plus from 1996 is working great with both my desktop and laptop running Win 7 64 bit.  The cable that finally worked is a Sabrent SBT-UPPC that I purchased through Walmart online for $10.  The key to getting it to work was selecting Virtual USB001 port during installation and using Windows update to bring up the correct driver.  Good Luck.

Student
FilmNoirFan
Message 12 of 32 (16,814 Views)

I could kiss you. I'm no computer dunce but I was baffled by my inability do something as simple as adding a printer. I bought a Belking transfer and could not get the printer to work until I came across your solution and it worked. Now you are my hero for life.

Student
Jerrib
Message 13 of 32 (16,776 Views)

Thanks for the Windows update fix and for the most part that works. 

What I have found though is I have 2 or 3 machines that for the life of me, I cannot run the windows update fix on to add this printer.  I have tried things like making sure the firewall isn't blocking, making sure the A/V isn't stopping it (I can do a normal windows just not to add the printer) .  Has anyone else had this issue?  It is really stumping me and I don't want to have to do something drastic like reimage a pc just because of this. 

Tutor
WA198273
Message 14 of 32 (15,933 Views)

I have the parallel to USB conversion cable. I physically have it in the back of an HP Desktop which is both wired and wireless to the router.  On installation of HP Laserjet 4, I get an error as well.  Windows update installs it but it won't print.  I did just replace the fuser.  It gives a ready instead of error 50 now.  When trying to print now, it gives a print error failure.  Another thing I noticed is that when I plugged it in under Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit system, it installed a 1334 port which lists under the printers in it's own row.  IT IS NOT in the list of ports.  I have tried forcing a USB port (virtual) and that does not work either.  I, like most others, want it for printing multiple copy batches.  It copies at a good price and it is still faster and cheaper than my HP Color Laserjet Printer. I don't understand the card  you are talking about.  Please explain further.   ANY help from anyone will be appreciated.

Student
Bosyli
Message 15 of 32 (12,297 Views)

found the icon for hp laserjet 4 plus  tried to print to the printer but it did not communicate. I am using a 64 bit dell windows 7

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 16 of 32 (12,205 Views)

If you are unable to print, did you read the previous posts about obtaining a conversion cable?  Do you already have the cable and are still unable to print? What program are you printing from (ex. Word, internet, etc)?  Answer those questions for me please if you already have the cable you need. 

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Student
shahzi
Message 17 of 32 (11,926 Views)

need HP LaserJet 4 Plus for windows 7.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 18 of 32 (11,896 Views)

shahzi wrote:

need HP LaserJet 4 Plus for windows 7.

The information you need should be in this post.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
gwelaw
Message 19 of 32 (10,173 Views)

I have a HP LaserJet 4M Plus that just stopped printing.  I am using Windows 7 and it was previously working but just stopped.  I have updated drivers but still the printer is not receiving a signal from the computer.  

This is a very good printer. 

Help!

Student
Judyap
Message 20 of 32 (9,009 Views)

Can't get my HP LasterJet 4plus printer to print.  I am working on a Mac OS-X.  It was working previously.  I recently installed a second printer and not I can't get the HP to work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation