Windows 7 and HP LaserJet 4 Plus (57608 Views)
HP Support Agent
Lil_Lisa27
Message 21 of 32 (1,671 Views)

Re: Windows 7 and HP LaserJet 4 Plus

I am sorry, but to get your issue more exposure I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums since this is a commercial product. You can do this at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/ .

I hope this helps.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Lil_Lisa27
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
gwelaw
Message 22 of 32 (1,662 Views)

Somehow, the problem worked itself out.  I didn 't do anything.  

Thanks for your reply.

Student
Tippinwa
Message 23 of 32 (1,557 Views)

I found the BEST solution yet~!!  Forget all that advice about registering your Laserjet 4 and making your Windows 7 or 8 support it - none of that stuff works very well, if at all and good luck on you if you understand the instructions.  HP and Microsoft do not care if you ever use your Laserjet again.  In fact, they'll be happy only if you go out and buy all new equipment.  Programmed obselence - how can they make money if you never buy another printer?  However, I have found THE solution that makes my Laserjet 4 Plus work just like it did back before Windows 7 and HP dumped it and I guarantee this will work for you too~!!  Further, it will continue to work not just for Windows 7 & 8, but also for 9, 10, 11 or whatever when they come out~!!  The solution can be found in a NETGEAR PRINTER 10/100 Mbps Print Server, Model PS-110~!!  They're not expensive, it takes a cable from your printer to the print server and a cable from it to your WiFi transmitter if you use one or directly to the computer.  The software is available free on the net, it takes about 15 minutes to install the thing, it sits up on the top shelf blinking and waiting and it will run your HP Laserjet 4 & Plus just like it did in the old days~!!  I am now enjoying my Laserjet 4 Plus like I did back in the "old" days.  What a relief to have it working again.

Student
baahaa2015
Message 24 of 32 (995 Views)

تعريف Re: Windows 7 and HP LaserJet 4 Plus

انتا اريد 

Student
Ga_Peach
Message 25 of 32 (833 Views)

Thanks so much! Got a new computer and had the driver from the Windows Update, but still couldn't print. The virtual USB port did the trick! I'm such a happy camper!!!
Top Student
CJ738
Message 26 of 32 (627 Views)

I managed to solve the problem simply by clicking off the box in printer properties to enable birdirectional support.  Using a parallel to USB cable, windows 7 installed the driver automatically.  The issue SEEMED to be that it wouldn't awake after sleeping.  Disabling bidirectional support resolved the issue.  It wakes up immediately when a print job is sent.

Spent hours on this issue, and found a note somewhere where someone said disable bidirectional....an VOILA.  All set.  I have my old workhorse available without nuisances again.

Honor Student
sidnief
Message 27 of 32 (167 Views)

I have the same problem with my workhorse HP LaseJet 4 and my new Windows 7 Ultimate desltop. I did exaclty all the steps mentioned here in this forum that wroked - add a new printer, use the virtual printer port USB001, install via windows update the driver for HP LaserJet 4 and disabled (uncheck) the bidirectional support - and still it does not work. When I send a test print, it goes to the queue and status stays 'Printing' for few minutes and then turns to 'Error - Printing'.  I have been going through all the hits on this issue in Internet to no avail. The parallel-to-USB cable I am using is Sabrent; could the cable quality/brand cause this problem?  This thing is driving me crazy for two days now, but I do not want to give up yet my ever faithful and loyal  HP LaserJet 4 (been working for about 20 years!). I had two HP color printers and they are both dead in less than five years.  

Honor Student
gwelaw
Message 28 of 32 (147 Views)

I had the same issue with the USB to Parallel cable so I installed a Parallel port in my computer and used the pararell to pararell cable and the printer works fine now.

Honor Student
sidnief
Message 29 of 32 (124 Views)

Hi gwelaw,

Did you get a PCIe card for your parallel port? And what brand or make are you using?

Thanks... Sidnie 

Honor Student
sidnief
Message 30 of 32 (101 Views)

I did a little more tinkering; One of them was,  use LaserJet 4 plus driver and I went a little further. This time when I print it gets to the print queue and my printer ready light blinks.  The print queue status changes to "printing" and then it just goes away but nothng gets printed ##@$!    In desperation, I powered down my desktop and printer, and let it dead for about 10 minutes. The I powered them back up and, LO and BEHOLD I was able to print two big files!!!   I sent the third file for printing and... WAHHH sob sob... it was back to square one; the ready light blinked, the queue status went to "printing" and then went away but nothing got printed.  I repeated the same exercise (power down and up) and again I was able to print the same two files and the third file did not print. I called Sabrent support (the maunufacturer of my parallel-to-USB cable) and the guy remotely connected to my Win7 desktop and concluded their cable works fine and something must be wrong with the my LJ4.  I dragged my LJ4 down the basement, connected it via parallel port to my old feeble desktop sporting Win 8.1 and it works just fine. Ah, I am so tired. I will try one more time tomorrow but I will do a lot of praying before I sleep tonight!      

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation