Windows 7 print driver & Photosmart P1100 (8244 Views)
Student
bryanmitchell
Message 1 of 8 (8,244 Views)

Windows 7 print driver & Photosmart P1100

[ Edited ]

I have a photosmart P1100 (still working great) I also have a new computer with windows 7 that recognizes the printer as a P1100, but does not have any, or install any drivers. So if possibe how can I get this printer to work on windows 7?  I saw some answers posted in the windows 7 beat forum, and although I have the alternate printers available, I cannot modify the P1100  to utilize other drivers, or I just don't know how to do it. Can I get some step by step instruction on how to acheive this?  Thanks in advance to all who can help.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 8 (8,214 Views)

Re: Windows 7 print driver & Photosmart P1100

[ Edited ]

Install the Deskjet 970 driver as shown starting in step 2 here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Top Student
davidoma
Message 3 of 8 (5,345 Views)

I know this thread is old, but it gets to my problem.  I have a USB-connected P1100 printer.  I tried adding a printer as suggested, and then used Windows Update to flesh out my printer drivers.  To my surprise, the list after the Windows Updated was much shorter (for HP drivers) and did not include any Deskjet 970 drivers at all.  Has even the workaround gone away now?  As for others, my P1100 works fine, and I would like to be able to use it.

Thanks.

Top Student
davidoma
Message 4 of 8 (5,343 Views)

I forgot... I tried to find the Deskjet 970 series on the new, but the HP site tells me that the 970cse and 970cxi drivers cannot be downloaded. But that doesn't change the situation that no 970 drivers are shown for HP printers after using Windows Update.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 8 (5,339 Views)

davidoma wrote:

I know this thread is old, but it gets to my problem.  I have a USB-connected P1100 printer.  I tried adding a printer as suggested, and then used Windows Update to flesh out my printer drivers.  To my surprise, the list after the Windows Updated was much shorter (for HP drivers) and did not include any Deskjet 970 drivers at all.  Has even the workaround gone away now?  As for others, my P1100 works fine, and I would like to be able to use it. Thanks.

Make sure you are looking under manufacturer HP and not Hewlett-Packard.  I just checked and there were lots more printers in the list after the update (mostly Designjet models) but the Deskjet 970Cse and Deskjet 970Cxi were still in the list.

dj 970.png

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

Top Student
davidoma
Message 6 of 8 (5,317 Views)

An e-mail from HP Support gave me the key so I could apply this solution. It suggested that I install the P1100 as a local USB port and not use the Windows-detected printer. It caused, finally, Windows Update to refresh the printer drivers so that the 970 series was included. Thanks to all!
Student
Nicsira
Message 7 of 8 (329 Views)

I tried several times to do the workaround as shown but it did not work. I tried both 970 drivers unsuccessfully. Can anyone help? What about the other fixes and "drivers" I see on Bing and Google?
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 8 (319 Views)

Nicsira wrote:
I tried several times to do the workaround as shown but it did not work. I tried both 970 drivers unsuccessfully. Can anyone help? What about the other fixes and "drivers" I see on Bing and Google?

What exactly was the nature of "unsucessfully"?  Were the Deskjet 970 drivers found and installed?  Once installed do print jobs remain in the wueue, or does the printer go through the motions of printing but nothing on the page?

I would be careful of third party drivers, I have seen a lot of malware out there....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation