Question

Top Student
BAts
Message 1 of 11 (7,172 Views)

Work around for "empty ink cartridge"

I discovered a "workaround" for the empty ink cartiridge warning which locks up my Officejet Pro L7680.  I put some tape over the "window" on the cartridge, slid it back in place and off and printing again!!  HP does say there is a problem with the "yellow" for that printer and are sending me a new printer, but in the meantime I am still able to print!!   I'm thinking this  "workaround" will be handy in the future if I let the ink run low and forget to reorder ink in a timely mannor too.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 11 (7,169 Views)

Re: Work around for "empty ink cartridge"

BAts wrote:
I discovered a "workaround" for the empty ink cartiridge warning which locks up my Officejet Pro L7680.  I put some tape over the "window" on the cartridge, slid it back in place and off and printing again!!  HP does say there is a problem with the "yellow" for that printer and are sending me a new printer, but in the meantime I am still able to print!!   I'm thinking this  "workaround" will be handy in the future if I let the ink run low and forget to reorder ink in a timely mannor too.

This sounds like a bad idea.  If you allow the printhead to actully run out of ink you risk damaging the printehad which can be expensive to replace.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
BAts
Message 3 of 11 (7,164 Views)

Seems somebody out there whose getting the big bucks to design these things needs to figure out a better solution then (based on all of the "out of ink"  problems  folks are having with a wide range of hp printers)
Tutor
RyanG
Message 4 of 11 (7,119 Views)

Tell me about it, My C7250 Photosmart Printer gave me the yellow cartridge error EVEN AFTER I just replaced it. Their online and phone techs say this problem is previously known about. This happened to me 1 year and 6 days after purchase date. He said I am out of warranty and will not help me. 6 DAYS !!! I did not realize HP products break after 6 days after the warranty is up. I WILL NEVER BUY HP EVERY AGAIN

What is the "Window" you put tape over to make it work? Will it still print in color with the Yellow which is actually full and not empty?

Thanks

Top Student
BAts
Message 5 of 11 (7,083 Views)

On my L7680 printer the #88 ink cartridges have what I am caling a window on the "business" end of the cartridge just above the "bullseye" ink nossle.

This window is an oblong hole in the plastic case of the cartridge and behind it is the bulb full of ink. Again on my printer in the slots where the cartsridges are inserted ther is a white "button" that is a switch that "reads" the ink level.  the Tape blocks the window, the switch hits the tape and "thinks"  its full.

My printer kept on printing in color!  Be sure to read the comments from the VP warning of this practice.  Of course he hasn't come back with other suggestions to my knowledge!

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 6 of 11 (7,080 Views)

I'm gonna re-iterate what Bob said, which is that this is a bad idea and it can damage the printheads. Your workaround may seem a good idea now, but it is bad for the printer in the not so long run(considering you'll proceed with the workaround).
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Student
golfergal54
Message 7 of 11 (6,512 Views)

C7250 Photosmart Express use with HPw2207 PC Vista OS: error message "Pump motor stalled, Press OK", I got this message after I replaced two almost-empty ink cartridges, and got same error message, so I replaced all the cartridges, even the half-full ones; I still get the same error message.  I have unplugged the power cord and still get error messge; I hit set-up key and still error message.  Help, please !

Could this be related to Vista OS?

Honor Student
cvsdave2
Message 8 of 11 (5,673 Views)

I think you're missing the point:  the ink-level signaling system on HP printers most often doesn't work correctly.  Were you to propose an alternative workaround to the question "how do I use my scanner when it will not recognize filled ink carts" I would be less inclined to question your motives.

Honor Student
cvsdave2
Message 9 of 11 (5,672 Views)

The above was entered as a reply to Mr. Headrick,  Somehow appears at the end of the discussion.

Intern
mischief2u
Message 10 of 11 (1,534 Views)

**bleep** you "expert"  What HP is doing is fraud.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation