Question

Student
direct447
Message 1 of 18 (4,636 Views)

alingment problems - alignment plot being skewed

I have an HP Photosmart C4680. When I replace the ink cartridge (for a genuine HP) alingment fails. Message on printer - 'does not detect alignment page'; on PC: 'alingment plot in scanner is being skewed'. Scanning and printing works fine but I get a message every morning now that the cartridge needs to be aligned which is annoying. Can anyone help!?

AWA Top Student
Top Student
AWA
Message 2 of 18 (4,572 Views)

Re: alingment problems - alignment plot being skewed

TELL ME ABOUT IT! What is the deal with this crap? Every single time. IT's MORE than annoying.

AWA Top Student
Top Student
AWA
Message 3 of 18 (4,567 Views)

[ Edited ]

Oh yeah - I remember now how to fix this. One of the FIRST things I noticed after purchasing the cheap printer is that the lid has barely any weight to it! If it weighed more, the scans would come out much better and much more crisp and clear, not to mention you would probably not get this annoying and UNNECESSARY error message.

So, to correct this problem, you've got to place pressure on the lid while it is scanning. That's it, unless you want to go out and get yourself a QUALITY all-in-one with decent parts attached to it.. The newer the machine, the less the quality.

My previous all-in-one by HP was a HP PSC 1510 and the lid was very different than this C4680 lid. It actually had some weight to it and the edge of the lip was molded to turn upwards, which gave it more weight right where it needed it - at the end edge of the lid.

Now, I've got nothing but finger and hand prints ALL over my shiny, and lets not forget lightweight & cheap, HP Photosmart C4680 gloss black lid and more effort and time wasted when scanning or aligning.

So, whomever reads this, try my resolution and reply back here to let me know how it worked for you.

I contacted HP support to let them know they have defective hardware and that a recall should be issued to all registered owners of this printer. They are allegedly going to contact me via phone within 2 business days to discuss this. I saved the chat. Feel free to reply to this post if you would like to view the chat log. This product is defective!

Student
LibraryAnn796
Message 4 of 18 (4,312 Views)

Same problem here. I've gone into device settings and ran the clean print cartridge wizard. Tried the suggestion to put pressure on the lid while scanning. The page is aligned correctly.  Nothing seems to work.

AWA Top Student
Top Student
AWA
Message 5 of 18 (4,304 Views)

Wait, I don't get it. You said you tried placing pressure on the lid, then you wrote "it aligned correctly" - then you wrote "nothing works". So, you placed pressure on the lid and it aligned correctly? Then it DID work?

Don't forget, you got to place constant pressure on the lid the entire time it is scanning.

Student
reneedefrancia
Message 6 of 18 (3,851 Views)

after 20 times trying to align new print cartridges, message says alignment failed due to scanner being skewed! printer model C4795

AWA Top Student
Top Student
AWA
Message 7 of 18 (3,849 Views)

So? Did you try my fix? It works. I just had to re-align yesterday - first try and got it.

Constant complete pressure on the lid while it is scanning the test page should do it.

Top Student
reb1
Message 8 of 18 (3,506 Views)

HP  Photosmart C6180 all in one ----printing of photo has lines and incorrect color.  have cleaned heads and run alignment. message alighment failed

AWA Top Student
Top Student
AWA
Message 9 of 18 (3,505 Views)

Of course the alignment failed - the printing of photo has lines in it and the color is incorrect. Have you done an advanced cleaning of the heads? How old is your printer?

Top Student
reb1
Message 10 of 18 (3,503 Views)

PH 6180 purchased May 2007       How do I advanced  cleaning of the heads

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation