Question

Student
magena777
Message 1 of 16 (12,462 Views)
Accepted Solution

cartridge alignment failed!

I have a HP Officejet J5780  All-in-One  printer.  It was working fine until i ordered the new replacement cartridges online from the HP store.  When it came to replace them and use them i started to have difficulty aligning the cartridges.

The error message i keep getting no matter what i try is this:

ERROR:  Align Page not Detected!   

I have repeatedly have tried over and over .... now i can't print anything.  I only had this printer a year and seldom use it!!!  :smileymad:

Top Student
markcboyle
Message 2 of 16 (12,162 Views)

Re: cartridge alignment failed!

We had the same problem when we replaced our black cartridge.  The answer is that we also had to replace the color cartridge.  The alignment page needs to have color and black alignment bars.  The alignment page that printed upon replacing the black cartridge had no color on it, and thus was rejected each time by the alignment routine.  Once we replaced the color cartridge as well, the alignment page printed with both black and color and the alignment completed.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 16 (12,153 Views)

magena777 wrote:

I have a HP Officejet J5780  All-in-One  printer.  It was working fine until i ordered the new replacement cartridges online from the HP store.  When it came to replace them and use them i started to have difficulty aligning the cartridges.

After the alignment page is printed it is necessary to load the paper onto the scanner bed and press OK to align.  See here or your manual for the instructions. As noted before you will need both black and color cartrdiges working. 

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
QueenShannikwa
Message 4 of 16 (10,935 Views)

You know, that worked for me too: After changing the black cartridge (which was the only one that had run out of ink), I was able to print just fine (in color AND in black and white) but was unable to scan or get the printer to detect the alignment page and wouldn't scan. Replacing the color cartridge (as mentioned in the post I'm replying to in October 2009)   did the trick.

I find that to be really low down and poor business acumen. I won't buy another HP printer for two reasons: They laid off one of my good, smart, friends (who made HP a LOT of money over the years with various accounts) after 15 years; and 2) this.

I can't wait for someone to come up with some sort of print alternative. Electronic 1s and 0s in in front of your eyes with special glasses or contacts (and then nothing at all). To hell with ink cartridges and toner. HP is hanging on to what it can until the jog is up....

Honor Student
Mark_D
Message 5 of 16 (10,412 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had a somewhat similar problem.  When I replaced the Gray cartridge on my Photosmart 8450 and it went to do the alignment, I got the message "Color Cartridge Failed" and it told me to replace it.  I noticed that the old Color cartridge was within the warranty period.  When I called HP, they almost immediately tried to sell me a new printer!  (They also told me that I would get 70% off, which turned out not to be the case for any option I would want.)  As it turned out, the Photo cartridge was not working properly (as shown on a test page that I generated, not on HP's advice), and I had a new one on hand.  Now that I have replaced it, and re-inserted the Color cartridge just for good measure, everything seems to be working properly.

My advice to anyone having a similar problem is not to give up unless you really want a new printer, but to try less drastic measures first.

I am not really impressed with the response of HP on the telephone.  The rep said that the printer was over six years old (actually, I purchased it less than five years ago, and give the printer very little use, preferring to use a laser printer for text), implying that the problem was with the printer, when it's not clear that that was the case.  I found the solution through my own troubleshooting.

What would have been helpful would have been for someone at HP to say, "Oh, there's something wrong with your Photo cartridge: The test page should show three color bands, not two."  I didn't know what the page was supposed to look like.  It doesn't show this correctly in the 8400 series User's Guide provided with the printer.  Later I found this page on the web: https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00254233, which shows what the test page should look like, but I don't see any way to find it from the 8450 product support webpage.

Mark

Top Student
Fistandauntilus
Message 6 of 16 (3,172 Views)

Thanks, I was about to pull the little hair out that I had remaining. The display told me to replace color cartridge, so, I did and then it wouldn't acknowledge the scan paper. I replaced the black cartridge and then no problems.

Thanks thanks thanks

Student
arlenegr
Message 7 of 16 (3,108 Views)

Tnx for the advises and information that has been posted in this forum, it helped me a lot.  This cartridge alignment problem needs ALWAYS replacement of the cartridges ( colored & black) to work properly.  So that means that when you depleted only one cartridge you should replace them both or else it will not work.  And the next thing that I noticed is that, when you depleted your left cartridge (in which a message will appear in your printer), they will not inform you that your black cartridge should also be replaced.  Luckily, I came to this forum and had tried replacing my black cartridge in which I seldomly used.

Honor Student
Sewgirl
Message 8 of 16 (2,911 Views)

I too had this problem with replacing only my black cartridge on my Photosmart D110A all-in-one printer. Printer 'alignment failed', 'alignment page not detected'. I am trying to print the envelopes for my wedding invitations (which should have been mailed out 10 days ago!). I am on a very tight budget and have been on medical leave from work since the end of June with no disability pay or any other income....is it true that from what I'm reading here I have to also replace my color ink cartridge when I will only be using the black ink??  I mean they're so #@!@ expensive, it seems like a racket to me! I use the color so infrequently I'm sure it dries up between uses. I went through all the troubleshooting steps on the support pages. At first it would print regular-sized paper even without the alignment, and just would not print the envelopes. Now it won't even print regular paper. In the meantime all the black ink is going to be used up printing all these stupid alignment pages. And HP charges $$ to answer an email or phonecall if your printer's out of warranty! Can someone just verify I have to replace the coor cartridge also? So frustrated!!

HP Support Agent
Advance23
Message 9 of 16 (2,873 Views)

Hi Sewgirl,

I would be happy to answer your question about replacing the color ink cartridge. You will have to replace the color ink cartridge to get the alignment page to pass. This document on Alignment page not detected or Alignment failed gives you steps on how to trouble shoot this issue.

Once you get the alignment page to pass you can then refer to your User Guide on tips for working with print cartridges.

Let me know if this helps or if you have any more questions.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" by the Reply to say “Thanks” for helping!

~Advance23~
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Sewgirl
Message 10 of 16 (2,869 Views)

follow up on cartridge alignment failure

Thank you for your help, I was pretty sure I had to get a color one too. I will go get a color cartridge & do the alignment.

One more follow-up question, once I get the alignment page printed with the color cartridge installed, can I use that same alignment page to scan at some future date when I replace only the black cartridge again? I mean just save it to use again if my color cartridge is out of color? Will that 'fool' the printer?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation