deskjet 1000 unable see ink levels (3568 Views)
Honor Student
bjlvrch
Message 1 of 4 (3,568 Views)

deskjet 1000 unable see ink levels

I'm using windows 7 64bit, I had bought deskjet 1000. It's printing fine and everything else but when i went to check the ink levels i get this message "the computer is unable to establish two-way communication with the device". How can this be fix so I can monitor the ink levels.

I already search forum on the deskjet 1000 with this problem and can't find anything.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 4 (3,560 Views)

Re: deskjet 1000 unable see ink levels

The Deskjet 1000 (with the #41 and #45 cartridges) did not have any provision for reporting ink levels, in Windows 7 or any other operating system.  There is a small green window on the #45 cartridge that indicates the level of the black ink; this green square turns to black as the ink is depleted.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
bjlvrch
Message 3 of 4 (3,550 Views)

the HP Deskjet 1000 I have I got at walmart for $29.99 it uses #61 color & #61 Black. I don't want to be in middle of printing something and run out of ink because I can't check the ink levels to know when to have spare ink tanks on hand. Planning on getting #61XL the larger tanks for this printer, but even then I need to know how to check ink levels.

this is the one i have http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/printer/Deskjet/1/storefronts/CH340A%2523B1H

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 4 (3,541 Views)

Arrgh....  OK, the "original" Deskjet 1000 was a 13"x19" printer from a dozen or so years ago that used 45 and 41 cartridges.  Sorry about that, the Deskjet 1000-J110 does support an ink level gauge.  I would suggest clicking on Start, Devices and Printers, right click on the Deskjet 1000, Printer Properties, Ports and make sure the checkbox is checked for "Enable bidirectional support".

BTW, with ink supplies as small as the 61 I would suggest always having a spare on hand :-).

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation