Question

Honor Student
zzgrl
Message 1 of 14 (2,391 Views)

deskjet 5740 paper stops halfway in the printer

[ Edited ]

Deskjet 5740 color printer - the paper gets pulled into the roller okay but stops halfway in & halfway out. The resume printing light flashes but cannot clear it out. I push the resume to get the blank paper to come out then it starts all over. I have re-booted the printer several times and there is nothing in the print q.

I also did a printer diagnostic and the computer is showing the printer is connected right and the driver is correct. It appears it is the printer itself and nothing in windows 7.I reinstalled the cartridges. I have never had this issue with this printer before.

Honor Student
theOtherOne
Message 2 of 14 (2,304 Views)

Re: deskjet 5740 paper stops halfway in the printer

I am experiencing the same problem for about a month now. Too bad there aren't any responses here.
Have you found a solution to this issue?
Provost
pcwizard
Message 3 of 14 (2,282 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi 

Please download and run the Print and Scan Doctor from the link below. Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
aarontrout
Message 4 of 14 (2,167 Views)

dead link, mind reposting?

Provost
pcwizard
Message 5 of 14 (2,161 Views)

HI aarontrout,

Please download and run the Print and Scan Doctor from the link below. Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
aarontrout
Message 6 of 14 (2,158 Views)

No errors, says it's all good.

I just moved it to my machine from a coworker, so the driver's fresh.

I can't even cancel print jobs without manualy deleting the spool files.  From where I'm sitting, the printer's well stuck.

Now the power light's on, for what it's worth.  Not flashing like the resume light's still doing, just a nice green hue.

Honor Student
5740User
Message 7 of 14 (2,156 Views)

I have the same problem too and ran the scan doctor and it says everything is fine, but sheet of paper is still sticking halfway in and halfway out with the blinking orange  feed arrow and any print jobs sent just set in the print Que and if you wait long enough it may display a "Paper Jam" message and when you clear the half-in and half-out sheet it just does the same thing - pulling the sheet halfway in and halfway out then sttops with the blinking arrow.

Top Student
aarontrout
Message 8 of 14 (2,154 Views)

Won't print the test print, by the way.
Provost
pcwizard
Message 9 of 14 (2,147 Views)

Hi

Try removing all the cables from the printer to the computer, and then run the self test page. Let me know if this prints ok?

Running a self-test
  1. Turn the printer on.
  2. Press and hold the POWER button.
  3. Press the RESUME button four times.
  4. Release the POWER button.
I am an HP employee.

Top Student
aarontrout
Message 10 of 14 (2,144 Views)

Alright, here's the story.

I unplugged the machine, plugged it back in.  The first thing that happened is the power, both ink, and resume lights started flashing alternetly.  The printer fed a sheet of paper and stopped halfway.  The power and both ink lights stopped flashing, the resume light continued.  There are no spool files in my PRINTERS folder.

I removed the jam and unplugged the machine, plugged it back in and let it try to feed (no paper).  The power light is green and I inserted a sheet of paper into the feeder.  Holding down the power button, I pressed resume four times and released the power button.  The machine feeds the sheet of paper, it jams hanging halfway out, and the resume light begins flashing.

My coworkers think that putting new ink cartriges in will solve the problem, but I'm skeptical because telling it to print solely from the (half full) black catridge yields the same results as letting it do it's regular thing (I'll admit that the color cartridge is low).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation