Question

Honor Student
hargrave3
Message 1 of 3 (1,462 Views)

how do I reset my Officejet 6500 printer to factory defaults

My Officejet 6500 E709n seems to "go to sleep". After it has not been used for a few days, I have to remove power and restore power to it for it to be recognized on my wireless network. The power button has no effect when it is in this sleep mode, and the blue network light is dark, After removing and restoring power manyally, it 'comes back to life' and all is well. Therefore, I would like to reset my Officejet 6500 E709n to factory defaults to see if that would solve my problem.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit with all current updates. All HP softwares are up to date. My router is an AT&T Residentual Gateway, 2wire model 3801HGV. I do not know how long this has been happening.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 2 of 3 (1,183 Views)

Re: how do I reset my Officejet 6500 printer to factory defaults

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

A full factory reset may not be required. Try downloading and running the print and scan doctor located here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03275041&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

It can fix a lot on its own and if not give a better idea of what is going on.

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Tutor
jharris1993
Message 3 of 3 (360 Views)

Re: how do I reset my Officejet 6500 printer to factory defaults

Can you check the wireless settings and see if IPv6 is turned on?

Are there other computers on your wireless network that have IPv6 enabled?

It has been my experience that, depending on the hardware, router, etc. that IPv6 can really mess things up.  You can go check out a blog article I wrote on this very subject The Case of the Vanishing Internet.  Though a bit dated, the advice is still good.

Post back and let us all know what worked!

Jim "JR"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation