Question

Student
minvictoria
Message 1 of 3 (32,067 Views)

how much ink is in 564 and 564XL cartridges?

I know the HP 564 box says it prints about 300 pages, and the HP 564XL box says it prints about 750 pages.  A salesman just told me there was only about 10% more ink in the XL, though.  How many ounces of ink are in each cartridge?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 3 (31,964 Views)

Re: how much ink is in 564 and 564XL cartridges?

The salesman misled you, either intentionally or through ignorance.  There are actually five different 564 cartridges:  black, cyan, magenta, yellow and photo black.  For the black cartridge the standard 564 is rated at 250 pages while the black 564xl cartridge is rated at 800 pages.  For the black cartridge there is more than 3x the usable ink in the xl cartrdige.  You will see similar results with the color cartrdiges, see here for yield details.

HP used to provide ink volume  (in mL) on their packages, but this was very misleading as newer cartridges and printers have higher pages per mL.  For example, the printers that use the 96 black cartridge get about 2x the pages per mL (or oz) as printers that use the older #45 cartridges.  This is due to changes in concentrations as well as improvements in the writing systems.  HP now rates it supplies using an industry standard method which is comparable across vendors and across printer models, see here for details.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
vitt
Message 3 of 3 (31,652 Views)

Re: how much ink is in 564 and 564XL cartridges?

minvictoria wrote:

I know the HP 564 box says it prints about 300 pages.  How many ounces of ink are in each cartridge?

I don't know how many ounces there are in each cartridge, but it can't be much, because I probably haven't even printed 300 pages since I bought my HP Photosmart printer a few months ago, and I've gone through 5 SETS of ink cartridges!  I even had the printer replaced, assuming that my problem must have been a fluke with the hardware or software.

One week after setting up the new printer with new cartridges, I'm out of ink again, and I'm not printing photos or images or any high-quality print job. Just simple black text on normal or economy settings.

This is either a serious quality control issue that HP has with its cartridge manufacturers, or a calculated sales scheme.  Either way, my estimation of the company is pretty low. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation