Question

Student
azsmde
Message 1 of 4 (1,002 Views)

how to get Laserjet 6MP working on XP

Hi,

I have this old Laserjet 6MP that has been a trusty workhorse in our home office.  It was connected to a desktop which we are no longer able to use.  Now I am trying to find the appropriate driver and setup for this to use on our laptop with XP pro via a USB interface.  I get an error message when I try to use the driver downloaded from HP's site.  This may be an old issue as I've found this link from a 2004 support forum thread.  The link no longer works.  But is anyone aware of the workaround that may have been available at some point?

Brett,

Here is a link to one of my previous threads. WinXP can be fussy about parallel port printing:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=57708

Please let us know. :-) Jay 

Thank you, Marianne

Tutor
gumpitup
Message 2 of 4 (989 Views)

Re: how to get Laserjet 6MP working on XP

The 6MP only supported parallel connections, and an apple talk connection. There are two types of parallel connectors on the printer b-type (larger connector) and c-type (smaller connector). If your XP laptop has no parallel port then you are probably out of luck. The 6MP does not support USB connections as it is an older model from the mid to late 90's.

Hope this helps

Student
sharrison
Message 3 of 4 (953 Views)

I bought this printer back in '97 and had it connected to a Mac. Then I upgraded to a PC and had it connected to Windows 2000 via parallel. After upgrading to a newer PC, I bought an adapter to use the USB port since new PCs don't have parallels anymore. I used it with WinXP and now Vista.

I was able to use the drivers that came with WinXP and Vista just by running the hardware wizard and had no problem.

The only glitch is sometimes when I print, it won't get to the printer and I get a printer error on the PC. I usually either logout and log in again or reboot the PC. I think this is because the PC doesn't know it's connected. I found that if you start the printer first before starting your PC it will be ok. It's only when you turn on the printer after the PC is on and even then it was intermittent. This behavior didn't happen everytime.

Tutor
CloudyBerlin
Message 4 of 4 (201 Views)

I am so glad you shared the trick of starting the printer first before starting the computer. I had rebooted the computer a couple of times, but that never helped. Probably because the power to the printer never shut off, so the printer didn't reboot. When I turned off the power strip, turned it back on, and then started the computer, the computer and printer began communicating for the first time! Thank God (because I was so stuck that I had begun to pray) for leading me to your answer!  Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation