Question

Honor Student
rgask
Message 1 of 27 (24,437 Views)
Accepted Solution

how to get driver for for hp photosmart 7660 on windows 8 computer

How/where do I get a driver to work on my hp p7 with win 8 for my hp photosmart 7660 color printer?

Thanks, rgask

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 2 of 27 (24,434 Views)

Re: how to get driver for for hp photosmart 7660 on windows 8 computer

rgask wrote:

How/where do I get a driver to work on my hp p7 with win 8 for my hp photosmart 7660 color printer?

Thanks, rgask

On the HP web site of course.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=305364&

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I worked for HP but now I'm retired!
Honor Student
rgask
Message 3 of 27 (24,428 Views)

HP web site says photosmart7660 for win 8  not supported. Is there still a way? I like this printer.

Rgask

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 4 of 27 (24,409 Views)

I'm looking into this right now. I believe there is a way to get it working, I just want to be sure before I point you in that direction. As soon as I find something I'll let you know.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 5 of 27 (24,393 Views)

I want to qualify these steps by saying that I have seen this work with Server versions of Windows that didn't support printers. This isn't guaranteed to work, but it should. If it doesn't, then there isn't a way to get this printer to install with Windows 8.

To install a printer that doesn't have a driver for Windows 8 in Windows 8:
1. Connect the device to the computer.
2. Windows will try to find a driver but won't be able to.
3. Close any notifications that come up.
4. Hold your mouse in the upper or lower right corner of the computer screen to bring up the charms bar. If you have a touch screen, you can slide your finger left starting from the right edge of the screen.
5. Click on Search.
6. Under the search box, click on settings.
7. In the search box, type Device Manager.
8. Select Device Manager from the list on the left.
9. Click on View and select Show hidden.
10. You should see a device on the list with a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it.
11. Right-click on that device, and select Install/Update driver.
12. A window will come up with 2 choices. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
13. On the next window, select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
14. On the next window, make sure the check-box next to "Show compatible hardware" is not selected.
15. In the Manufacturer list, select HP.
16. In the Model List, select either the Deskjet PCL3 Class Driver, the Deskjet 990c driver, or the Deskjet 450 driver.
17. Click Next.
18. Click Finish.
19. Try printing.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
rgask
Message 6 of 27 (24,381 Views)

Shane R,

Awesome work! It worked and now I have a printer again. Thanks for your help.

Thank you,

RGask

Student
wildbirdalaska
Message 7 of 27 (20,332 Views)

None of your suggestions work.  I have tried every alternate driver suggested and all I get is a flag saying the driver is not digitaly signed and installation can not proceed.

I did get the Deskjet 5600 series driver to load but where Windows 8 put it is a mystery to me and the search abilities of this computer......

I love my 7660, but it looks like I'm going to be forced to either buy a new printer or a copy of windows XP....

Anyone know how to find drivers in Win 8?  And once found how do I update the 7660 to use an alternate driver?

Student
april76
Message 8 of 27 (20,117 Views)

hi,  so close.  i tried then got an error as mentioned "can not be intstalled because it is either not digitally signed or not signed in the appropiate manner".  I tried the Deskjet PCL3 (only one i had on the list).  Before i chose it, it said it was digitally signed.

i then tried to download the actual driver file from the site thinking i would just browse to it, but the site would not let me download the driver file but instead requires the pc to detect.  so, if you think this way could work, where can we download the actual driver file?  or how do we get aound the "digital signature" error?

thanks fr your help!

Z_W Student
Student
Z_W
Message 9 of 27 (18,636 Views)

Im lost at this step:

16. In the Model List, select either the Deskjet PCL3 Class Driver, the Deskjet 990c driver, or the Deskjet 450 driver. 

The latter 2 do not apear, and the first one doesnt work

Tutor
iain123221
Message 10 of 27 (16,888 Views)

A slght modification to the instuctions below and it work for me with with windows 8:

To install a printer that doesn't have a driver for Windows 8 in Windows 8:
1. Connect the device to the computer.
2. Windows will try to find a driver but won't be able to.
3. Close any notifications that come up.
4. Hold your mouse in the upper or lower right corner of the computer screen to bring up the charms bar. If you have a touch screen, you can slide your finger left starting from the right edge of the screen.
5. Click on Search.
6. Under the search box, click on settings.
7. In the search box, type Device Manager.
8. Select Device Manager from the list on the left.
9. Click on View and select Show hidden.
10. You should see a 2 devices marked photosmart 7600 on the list, one with a yellow triangle and one without a yellow triangle.
11. Right-click on that device that does not have a yellow triangle, and select Install/Update driver.
12. A window will come up with 2 choices. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
13. On the next window, select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
14. On the next window, make sure the check-box next to "Show compatible hardware" is not selected.
15. In the Manufacturer list, select HP.
16. In the Model List, select either the Deskjet PCL3  driver.
17. Click Next.
18. Click Finish.
19. Try printing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation