Question

Top Student
rblb
Message 1 of 12 (1,340 Views)

hp 8600 pro flashing lights

Just bought the HP Officejet Pro 8600 a week ago. I keep having trouble with all the lights flashing. The printer seems to be working so far. The problem I'm having is all the lights on the control panel start flashing along with the power button. The screen says "Printer Error" Please turn Printer Off and then On. When I do this, it returns to normal but after several minutes it starts flashing again. I currently have it set up as wireless.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 2 of 12 (1,318 Views)

Re: hp 8600 pro flashing lights

[ Edited ]

Hi rblb,

Is the printer plugged directly into a wall outlet (not a surge protector, power strip or battery backup)?

If you do a Hard Reset as described in the following link, is there any change?  Click Here 

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
rblb
Message 3 of 12 (1,297 Views)

The printer is plugged into the wall outlet.  I tried the reset and it didn't work. Flashing lights come on after it's on for awhile with the screen saying "Printer error" Please turn printer off then on with all the lights flashing. I also wanted to check on something... when I open the printer menu on the computer a window comes up and says I have two officejet pro 8600's connected and asks which one I want to select. The choices are --

1.  HP Officejet Pro 8600 (Network)

2.  HPD608E3 (HP Officejet Pro 8600)

Could there be a problem with the installation? I'm not sure which one to select...

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 4 of 12 (1,291 Views)

If you are using the wireless network, I would try the first printer.  The second printer is for a second installation, maybe for a USB connected printer.

A printer can be connected by:

1. USB and / or
  2. Ethernet or wireless

How is your printer connected?

If you have a USB connection, is the cable seated in a 2.0 or a 3.0 USB port on the computer.

Is the Model # for your printer N911 a, g or n ?

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
rblb
Message 5 of 12 (1,286 Views)

As mentioned before, I have the printer set up as wireless. Model number on the printer status report lists the model name as HP Officejet Pro 8600  N911g.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 6 of 12 (1,272 Views)

I was wanting to confirm that the wireless was still connected and to verify that there was no usb cable connected from the computer to the printer.  Some people have both connections at the same time.

You might try doing a Semi Full Reset.  If successful, this would reset the printer to factory defaults and clear the memory.  The printer will be removed from the wireless network and would need to be reconnected.  If you want to give this a try, I can send the steps in a private message to your HP Forums in-box.  I would need you to agree not to publish the steps.  Let me know what you decide.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
rblb
Message 7 of 12 (1,218 Views)

Still having the same problem, if you could send me the informaion that would be great.

HP Support Agent
Rainbow7000
Message 8 of 12 (1,207 Views)

Hello rblb, I seen you had an error message on your printer showing “Printer Error” and so far the troubleshooting steps you have completed have not been successful. I would like to know if there has been any other error codes shown on the printer, for example, a code that shows in a letter/number combination (example: 0x610000f6) or any different error messages, such as “Printer Failure”.

Please respond and let me know and I would be happy to help further.

- Crystal

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

R a i n b o w 7000
I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
rblb
Message 9 of 12 (1,179 Views)

Took my HP 8600 Pro back to Costco and bought another one to try. Set it up on wireless and did everything that was recommended during setup. I'm having problems with the blinking lights on this one too. "Printer Error", "Please turn Printer Off and then On". What is going on ??? I'm wondering if the problem printers are being sold from the same store, is anyone tracking the similarities and problemss with these printers? I noticed from other postings that the same questions are being asked about how it's plugged in, is it plugged directly into an outlet....Do the reset....etc.  We've all been troubleshooting and are past the basics. My question is whats next?

HP Support Agent
Rainbow7000
Message 10 of 12 (1,166 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi rblb, I am sorry to hear you are having the same issue with another Officejet 8600 Pro. You will find many posts where we ask to ensure the printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet for best power results.

I am going to recommend troubleshooting this document I will paste below. If this does not resolve your issue, my next recommendation is to call HP Customer Care Support at 1-800-474-6836.

All the best of luck.

Recommended Troubleshooting Document

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

R a i n b o w 7000
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation