Question

Honor Student
photobug9806
Message 1 of 13 (18,866 Views)
Accepted Solution

hp laserjet 1020 does not print

Operating System Windows 7 PRO 64 bit

Does the HP laserjet 1020 work on the above software?

Tried to uninstall the printer drivers but failed. Message-setup encountered an abnormal program execution. setup will shut down. This was using the hp uninstallprogram. Tried the HP diaqnositc. Said all printer functions ok but could not pront a test page.

Installed new drivers.started over but no test page printed.

You can disconnect the printer and run a test print that goes to the print que and holds. Turn on printer and the que clears but no page prints.

Frustrated and confused.

DGR

Associate Professor
AuntieEm
Message 2 of 13 (18,862 Views)

Re: hp laserjet 1020 does not print

The short answer is Yes the software does work in this environment. What I have been seeing is most customer are having install problems.

What I would suggest is to uninstall all software and to start over. Frustrating, I know but then you know you have a clean install. Make sure when you uninstall that you have removed all Software. Check the Print Server properties to see if anything is still there. Also check in all Program folders and if anything is in there that is marked with HP 1020 or 1022, delete that. Delete your download folder and recycle bin and then re-boot before you download the new software from hp.com.

I have attached a document that shows 3 different install methods. Choose the one that will work for you. Each customer environment is different but several customers have reported back the method 3 has worked for them. I have tested all 3 in both 32 and 64 bit environments and they do install and print from Word, Excell and Notepad, however keep in mind I am working from a clean test image each time so my environment is different.

Let me know how it goes.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

Honor Student
photobug9806
Message 3 of 13 (18,858 Views)

Went to control panel, clicked to uninstall hp1020. got the error I indicated in original message, I need to uninstall the program. Any suggestions?

DR

Associate Professor
AuntieEm
Message 4 of 13 (18,855 Views)

Can you go to the Devices and Printers folder and on the top task bar, click on remove printer? If not, then...

You can also go into your C:// drive, then Program files, then HP folder, and delete the HP LaserJet 1020 Driver from there. Not the ideal way to do it but you can do it this way.

Once you have done this, go back into your Devices and Printers folder, makes sure any printer (doesn't matter what one as long as it isn't the 1020 if that is still showing) has a green check on it, then up in the task bar, click on Print server properities. Open this and click on the driver tab, if the 1020 isn't showing in there then it shouldn't be in your driver store anymore. If it is showing in the list, try to remove it by clicking the remove button. When the pop up appears, try remove driver only. Then repeat the process and try remove driver and driver package. Sometimes the second option doesn't work until you do the first option, sometimes it doesn't work at all. If it doens't work, then you need to go into your C:// drive and remove the folder following the steps above. Make sense?

Make sure you have deleted your download folder and recycle bin and you should be okay to re-boot and re-install.

I am an HP employee.

Student
gfun
Message 5 of 13 (18,727 Views)

accepted solution
Student
Gropie4
Message 6 of 13 (17,118 Views)

I also have a HP laserjet 1020

Just done a fresh instalation and the printer goes thro the motions of wanting to print, but nothing comes out on the paper.

Does anybody have a solution to this problem.

I am running windows XP

Intern
GERRY_EXPRESS
Message 7 of 13 (15,518 Views)

Just clean the surfaces of electronic contacts in toner and in the printer also. 

Student
Pastor_Scotty
Message 8 of 13 (13,781 Views)

Auntie E:

I have the same problem on more than one HP Printer and only HP Printer.  I have an HP Pavilion 7 came with Vista and I upraged with your upgrade disks to 7 64bit.  

They are either stalling in the spooler or going to the printer an not printing.  The HP 1020 I think gets the data spooled to it.  Spins up and then nada!  I did your fix and it work for one day.  Then Ma Microsoft update the OS and now Nada again.

The two printer that will not print are a HP LaserJet 400 M401, and HP 1020.  I could live without the 1020 but I must have the HP LaserJet 400 M401 since I have two of them one at each of my churches.

I am a former Network System Analyst so I know my stuff.

Should I buy the rebuild disks on-line, prep the drive and start fresh.  

Scotty

Associate Professor
AuntieEm
Message 9 of 13 (13,738 Views)

Just saw your post regarding the m401 printer. Could you check the following and then post back...

Complete name of the printer

Firmware version

If the problem, starteed after you upgraded the firmware

OS

Have you checked to make sure that the printer and computer are on the same network?

If so, then have you check to see if you can  print a page from the printer? 

go to  the control panel > report > print any page there

if this prints, then we know  the problem is somewhere in the computer 

Go to your devices and printers folder > right click on printer properties > send test page

if this, does not print > go to the print queue and see if it says "Printer offline"

If it says "printer offline" > file > see if use printer offline is checked > if checked uncheck and see if print job is sent to computer.

If you do all this and are still not printing, then post back  and let  me know what your error message is.

I am an HP employee.

Student
nVi3
Message 10 of 13 (7,873 Views)

I've done up to Print Server Properties from  Devices and Printers.

But when I tried to remove Driver Package of HP LaserJet 1020, it says

"The following driver(s) can not be deleted:

Driver HP LaserJet 1020 (x64) is in use. It is used on:

HP LaserJet 1020

I also deleted HPLaserJet 1020 from c drive >> PRogram Files >> HP

I dont understand what's going on.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation