Question

Honor Student
Cordelia0704
Message 1 of 3 (734 Views)
Accepted Solution

hp laserjet pro 400 m401 dw - how do you get it to recognize the second print tray?

We just bought this printer a month ago, and we love it, so we bought the second tray (or drawer, however you want to think of it) because my biggest complaint everyday is reloading paper trays. WE have tried everything we can think of to get the printer to recognize the second tray and to pull paper from there when the first one is empty, but its not working. Its like we bought it for no reason. Does anyone know how to make it work? Thanks

Master's Graduate
dansdaduk
Message 2 of 3 (722 Views)

Re: hp laserjet pro 400 m401 dw - how do you get it to recognize the second print tray?

You need to distinguish between the following:

• Printer - does the printer itself know that the tray is present? Check by printing a 'configuration' report, or by checking settings with the Embedded Web Server. If the tray is not recognised, this implies a physical problem with tray connector, etc.
  • Computer - does the printer driver on your system know that the additional tray is available? On a Windows system, look at the Device Settings tab on the Printer Properties dialogue, and check that the extra tray is set to Installed rather than Not installed.
Honor Student
Cordelia0704
Message 3 of 3 (709 Views)

Re: hp laserjet pro 400 m401 dw - how do you get it to recognize the second print tray?

I got it now, thanks. What I think of as tray 2, is actually tray 3, which is not installed. Now it is, and it works. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation