Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP P1600dn LaserJet printer keeps turning itself off (full power-off) even though I disabled the auto shut-off function and even though I changed the cartridge.  Printer is just over 1-year old.

32 REPLIES 32
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.....so how does one fix it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended
Dear DSlaughter9749: Thanks for advising that you are having the same problem with your HP P1606dn printer. Unfortunately, I do not know how to fix the problem but I am working on it. Hopefully someone in the forum can help. By the way, do you access a remote server like Citrix with your computer? I do and I have a hunch that this may be the source of my problem. I'll be in touch via this forum. Dgourgues
HP Recommended

Hi Dgourgues,

Thank you for taking on this problem.  The printer causing me the problem is located at my home.  I do have access to another server located at my work and I access the work server through a remote desktop connection.    What should I ask my IT staff about that work server?  I am not familiar with "Citrix."  DSlaughter9749

HP Recommended

Hi 

Auto-Off mode

Auto-Off is an energy-saving feature of this product. After a user-specified time period, the product automatically reduces its power consumption (Auto-Off). The product returns to the ready state when a button is pressed or a print job is received. When the product is in Auto-Off mode, all of the control panel LEDs and the power button backlight LED are off.

NOTE: Although the product lights are off in Auto-Off mode, the product will work normally when it receives a print job. Wireless models do not support the Auto-On/Auto-Off mode. Sleep mode, with power consumption of 3.4W, is supported on wireless models.

Change the Auto-Off delay time

You can change how long the product remains idle (Auto-Off delay) before it enters Auto-Off mode.

NOTE: The default Auto-Off delay setting is 5 minutes.

1. Open the printer properties, and then click the Device Settings tab.

2. Select the Auto-Off delay from the Auto-Off drop-down list.

NOTE: The changed setting does not go into effect until a print job is sent to product.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestion.  Unfortunately, I have already turned off the Auto-Off mode.  I have even uninstalled and then re-installed the software.  Now when I turn on the printer it turns itself off almost immediately as if someone disconnected the power cord.  I checked the power cord and it is fine.  I now suspect that there is some sort of electrical short within the printer itself, which is upsetting because I have only owned the printer for 14 months.  Needless to say I am not happy about the matter.  A device like this should not breakdown after only 14 months of use.  More importantly it seems like HP is unwilling to do anything about the matter.  I guess my expectations were too high.

HP Recommended

Hi pcwizard,

My Device Setting Tab did not have an Auto Off option.  Here is what The Device Setting Tab shows:

Form to Tray Assignments

Font Substitution Table

Installable Options

Punch Unit:  Not Installed

Automatic Configuration:  Off

Printer Status Notification:  Enabled

Tray 3-10:  Not Installed

Envelope feeder:  Not Installed

Duplex Unit:  Installed

Accessory Output Bin:  Not Installed

Printer Hard Disk:  Not Installed

Job Storage:  Automatic

Color Printing Mode:  Automatic

Job Separator:  Disabled

Mopier Mode:  Disabled

Device Type:  Auto Detect

What did I miss?  More thoughts?

HP Recommended

Hi

Follow the steps in the document below

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02860533

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Thanks again for your suggestion, however, as noted in my original post, my HP P1606gn printer keeps turning itself off even though I disabled the Auto-Off feature.  There is clearly something the matter with my printer that has nothing to do with the Auto-Off feature.  The printer is broken after only 14 months of light use.  Now when I press the On/Off button the printer turns on for 10 seconds and then powers itself completely off.  And, when this occurs, my computer says that the printer is "offline."  In other words, I cannot get the printer to stay on.  Since neither HP nor the company who sold the printer to me is willing or capable of helping fix this problem, I am now looking for a third-party vendor who can assist.  Needless to say, if I have to replace this printer, it will not be with a unit manufactured by HP.  I am extremely disappointed and upset.

HP Recommended

Hi dgourgues, 

The printer is designed to go into power save mode to save power. This is by design for ENERGY STAR qualified imaging product. Please refer to page 137 of the users guide. If you are having a hardware failure with the power feel free to call our technical support at 800-474-6836 if you are in the US/Canada region. If you are out side the US/Canada region click on the link below to get the support number for your region. 

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

I am an HP employee.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.