Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi there -

I've been trying to print, but the printer gives me an error "USB Device not compatible: Remove USB device" on the printer display, but I have no USB device attached.

HP Photosmart Premium Fax All-in-One Printer - C309a

Windows 7 64-bit

No changes that I am aware of.  Printed fine last week.  Any help to resolve is appreciated.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

I would suggest downloading and running the HP Printing Diagnostic Utility.  If this does not resolve the issue try resetting the printer - with the printer turned on unplug the USB cable from the back then disconnect the power for 60 seconds.  Plug the power back in and say OK when the printer says not to do that again, then reconnect the USB cable if you are connected by USB.

If that does not fix the problem then please read this post then provide some details. What operating system? How is the printer connected - USB, wired LAN, Wireless LAN, bluetooth? Are there any devices plugged into the card slots or USB port on the front left of the printer?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I'm having this very same problem.

The Print Diagnostic Utility found nothing wrong.

The HP is connected via USB to a system running Windows 7. There are no memory cards, USB devices, etc attached to the printer. It will still PRINT...but the USB message will not go away.

HP Recommended

Work around solution:  I have been having the same problem too. The condition occurs randomly, even without any USB drives, memory cards or even USB interface cable attached.

Here is my solution.

1. Turn the printer off. 
  2. plug in a USB thumb drive (be sure it is a working unit)
  3. Turn the printer back on. note - if there are image files on the drive, the printer might go into photo printing mode. If so, then just press the home button to go to the main menu.
  4. Remove the USB drive. 

This is not a cure-all, but does resolve the error condition for me. However, It can come back.

hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Well, I just shut it down overnight and the problem seems to have stopped. I'll keep this in mind if the problem comes back again though.

HP Recommended

Thanks to everyone who keeps this chain alive.

I've basically given up and physically reconnected the printer to my laptop.  Solved most of my problems...

After spending multiple hours on the phone with HP tech support, with no resolution, then to be told "I have to run to the "lab" to test some issues, I will call you back in less than an hour".  That was three months ago.  Each time I called tech support, it was a long, arduous journey.  Never want to do that again. Ever.   If my time was money, I could have bought a new printer for each time I had to deal with tech support.

Bottom line, I bought a wireless printer so I didn't have to constrain myself to the desk while printing, and I could use it with the other laptops I and my business own.  (They can no longer use the printer either)  The frustrations I have experienced with this model and tech support (aside from the folks that have tried to help on this forum) have led me to the conclusion that I will not be purchasing HP in the future.   And I will tell all those who will listen.

At the very least, my headaches will be caused by another company in the future.

HP Recommended

how do I remove usb device from my printer. I do not think I ever even added a usb device so how did it get there?

?

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem, first time today after printer was off for 10 vacation. Unplugging didn't work and the "printer diagnostic " link returns no page found. Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem. This printer has had more quirky issues than any other I have ever had! It looks like there is no solution except to try the plugging in a USB device.

HP Recommended

The printer requires a master reset.  To accomplish this, remove the power cord and then hold down both the '#' and "6" keys on the printer's panel while you plug back in the power cord.  Release the '#' and "6" keys when the reset message appears and then follow instructions on the panel to finish the reset which will take several minutes to complete.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.