Question

Tutor
stephencarter
Message 1 of 7 (3,892 Views)

hpqste08.exe Application Error - exception (HP Digital Imaging Monitor?)

I am running WindowsXP Pro with a new HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premium All-in-one printer. It usually works fine for a while then something happens and I loose the ability to run functions from my computer on the printer. Sometimes I get Application Error saying that there was an exception in hpqSTE08.exe. Other times the system tray icon for HP Digital Imaging Monitor disappears. If either of these things happen I still seem to be able to print OK, but if I want to scan something by placing it in the automatic feeder I have no control over it from my computer. (The way my office is setup, because the fireplace chimney runs through my office, I can reach the feeder tray easily, but to reach the buttons I have to get up and walk around the chimney to do these functions, very inconvenient.)

There seems to be no way to stop and restart the HP Digital Imaging Monitor without rebooting my computer (extremely inconvenient) and there seems to be no information anywhere about how to correct the Application Exception Error I get from hpqSTE08.exe.

I hope some HP programmers are reading this. There needs to be a way restart the service or software when and if a application error occurs, otherwise your just annoying your customers by making the reboot!

But a solution for the falling off of the HP Digital Imaging Monitor or Application Error would be even nicer. Any ideas?

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 7 (3,881 Views)

Re: hpqste08.exe Application Error - exception (HP Digital Imaging Monitor?)

[ Edited ]

One of the possible reasons why those apps are shutting down could be your Firewall program. Have a look at THIS document to find out which programs and ports to allow through your firewall.

Alternately, you can run the HP DIM by going to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Tutor
stephencarter
Message 3 of 7 (3,869 Views)

Thanks DexterM, but that definitely is not the problem. I have no local firewall turned on because I have a network and I am using a firewall on the router. Besides I would not use the Windows firewall anyways due to the fact that I pay a subscription for antivirus software that contains a firewall option.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 7 (3,850 Views)

So, you ARE using a firewall+AV??? You just contradicted yourself in that post. So I'm confused about you using a firewall on your PC.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Tutor
stephencarter
Message 5 of 7 (3,843 Views)

Though it may appear that I contradicted myself, if you read my post carefully you will see that I was quite precise.

I do not have the firewall software on my pc turned on because I have a router acting as my firewall. The printer is behind the firewall and isolated from the internet on the network along with my PC. I am not using the Windows firewall.

Tutor
stephencarter
Message 6 of 7 (3,842 Views)

For further clarification, I am not using the anti-virus software's firewall either.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 7 of 7 (3,833 Views)

stephencarter wrote:

Besides I would not use the Windows firewall anyways due to the fact that I pay a subscription for antivirus software that contains a firewall option.

That's the part which confused me. Trust me, I read the post many times before replying. Any by firewall, I meant any firewall software, not just Windows Firewall.

Anyway, insert the installation disk for the printer. Browse through its contents and go to the 'setup' folder. Now go into the 'scan', 'devicediscovery' and 'status' folders and repair the respective MSI files. Just right click on the .msi file and click on 'Repair'. Then reboot the PC and see what happens.

I am an ex-HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation