Question

Student
dueager2001
Message 1 of 20 (7,365 Views)

ink cartridge access door open

I purchased a photosmart plus B210e and get the message ink access door open during setup.  I finally figured out that the ink access door is the big printer lid but it is clearly shut.  None of the FAQ refer to this as a possible error.  I looking for any packing tape that could have been missed but can't figure out why printer message says the door is open.  Is this  a bad sensor and I need to return it to the store.  I purchased it on 9/27 and didn't open till a few days ago and haven't had the time to deal with this issue. 

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 2 of 20 (7,333 Views)

Re: ink cartridge access door open

The big lid has a cone shaped piece of plastic under the left side that goes into a hole in the base, which tells the printer that the lid is closed. If something is wrong with that or the switch in the hole, that will give that message.

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
Student
BunkerXCM
Message 3 of 20 (7,187 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same problem with my Grandma's B210e.

I found the cone and the button it depresses, but holding it down with a pencil or screwdriver does not fix the problem. Sounds like a hardware issue? Can Best Buy or someone local fix it or does it need to be sent in?

I've tried resetting the printer as well, no change.

Thanks

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 4 of 20 (7,170 Views)

You could try a power reset. While it is turned on, unplug the power from the back of the printer (not from the wall) and wait 30 seconds. Then connect it back to the printer and turn it on. If that does not help, then I would contact tech support at 800-474-6836. They can give you repair/replacement options.

007OHMSS

Student
jcroix
Message 5 of 20 (7,116 Views)

Hi, I have the same problem ALL the time, its really frustrating, I restart it and nothing, the only thing that works is unplugging it for about ten minutes and then re-pluggin it...  AND to make matters worst the other day it did the "ink cartridge door open" WHILE I was printing, so it is messed up, where can i take it?!?! I bought it less than a month ago online here on hp.com....... I'm EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED AND FRUSTRATED....

Honor Student
k3zwz
Message 6 of 20 (6,557 Views)

Is there a schematic that shows how the switch is wired in?

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 7 of 20 (6,514 Views)

If you lift the cover and look just to the left of the large open area toward the front, there is a small hole right before a slanting surface. For comparisons, look just below the arrow in this attached image, if the arrow was pointy at the opposite end it would pointing right at the hole. There is a cone shaped part in the lid that pushes that switch in. If you take a cotton swab or pencil, and GENTLY push that switch in, it should clear the open cover message. If not, and you have already done the power reset, then it is a switch hardware problem.

007OHMSS

Top Student
rzerull
Message 8 of 20 (5,932 Views)

photosmart 3310 cannot close the access door for the ink cartridge

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 9 of 20 (5,902 Views)

ink cartridge access door open

@rzerull, Is that an error message that you are getting on the machine? Or a physical symptom of the printer that you are describing? Have you recently replaced the ink cartridge if the door is hung up? What type of cartridges are in the machine? Since your printer has a printhead assembly, I would start by re-seating all the cartridges in the machine, making sure that as you put each one back in that the gray latch when pulled down over the cartridge clicks firmly in place. Then close the carriage access door on the printer. If after that you are still getting the error message I would do a hard reset to the printer. No User settings are lost with a hard reset and it will attempt to restore the printer to a known working condition if possible.

To do a hard reset:
1. With the printer plugged directly into a wall outlet, and turned on, unplug the cord from the rear of the printer.
2. Then unplug the cord from the wall socket.
3. Wait at least 30-60 seconds
4. Plug the power cord back into the wall socket first. If the cord has a module in it, make sure that the light on the module is lit up and then
plug cord back into the rear of the printer
5. The printer should power back on by itself, but if not use the power button on front panel to turn machine back on.
I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Top Student
rzerull
Message 10 of 20 (5,880 Views)

cartridges were recently replaced! The access door is stuck on the wide open position! Cannot close the access door!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation